In autumn, the gyms and the fitness club begin to fill up. Firstly, it is already uncomfortable to play sports on the street, and secondly, people begin to lose weight and get in shape before the winter holidays. At the same time, visitors to the halls often train beyond measure, not correctly calculating the load, trying to literally embrace the immensity — to quickly lose weight, build muscle relief. Against this background, they may experience such an unpleasant and unexpected symptom as elevated body temperature. Why fever develops against the background of overtraining, aif.ru told sports medicine doctor, and. about. Larisa Sorokina, head of the exercise therapy department of the Medincenter Clinical Diagnostic Center (a branch of GlavUpDK under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia).
According to the expert, this phenomenon is not uncommon. “Athletes quite often see an increase in the numbers on the thermometer after a workout. After all, the body spends a lot of energy to contract muscles during exercise. And here it is worth looking at the condition of a person against the background of such elevated indicators, ”the doctor warns.
So, if the athlete is not worried about anything, that is, there is no feeling of nausea, there is no aching in the joints, which is just characteristic of elevated body temperature, the temperature itself has risen slightly, then you can not worry and not particularly focus on such heat.
Why does the temperature rise during exercise?
Larisa Sorokina says that there are several reasons why the indicators on the thermometer can grow after a workout. Among them:
- Incorrectly selected load is usually typical for beginner athletes. And if such a signal from the body appeared in response to excessive activity, you should simply reduce the intensity of training, the sports doctor advises.
- Too active work of the thyroid gland, which occurs in response to physical overexertion.
- Infections or colds — they may well appear after a workout, even if there were no signs of illness before.
- Disturbances in the hormonal status, for example, with an increase in a hormone such as prolactin (it is usually associated with the mammary glands and breastfeeding. Normally, it is found in men and women in small quantities). If the temperature after exercise began to rise rapidly in women aged 45 years and older, even if the load was minimal, for example, stretching, then this may be a sign of body restructuring (menopause).
- Violation of the work of blood vessels: if there is a narrowing of the lumen of peripheral vessels, for example, with atherosclerosis (when the vessels are clogged with plaques) and thrombosis, then thermoregulation and heat transfer begin to deteriorate.
“It is also worth looking initially, even before training, at body temperature. If it exceeds 37.5 degrees, it is better to skip the lesson. In this case, it can lead to rapid dehydration and increasing overheating of the body because of this. In addition, against the background of a deteriorating human condition, problems with coordination of movements appear, the risk of injury increases, ”warns Larisa Sorokina.
If the cause of the temperature is SARS or even the flu, then training can lead to complications: the heart, joints and other organs will suffer.
How to alert the temperature?
Doctors recommend to worry in advance about not bringing the case to the appearance of fever, notes Larisa Sorokina. Drink more water during exercise to avoid fever during and after exercise. You should also give up caffeine before classes. It will also be wrong to use fat-burning drugs immediately before training. Do not forget that you should recover properly between sports — take breaks for technique, do not try to jump above your head and take the weight that you are not yet ready for. In addition, it is necessary to reduce the amount of protein in food.
“In most cases, body temperature after a workout normalizes on its own, without requiring the use of drugs. It takes an hour and a half to normalize the condition. To recover faster, you should take a cool shower and drink enough water, ”advises Larisa Sorokina.
If the temperature does not go away, it grows even more, and the person begins to feel worse (he cannot get out of bed, weakness and muscle pain appear, a headache develops), you should consult a doctor to find the cause of this condition.