Not always anal itching becomes a reason for a visit to the doctor. Such a delicate problem can appear at any age, but most people consider it not significant and prefer to either endure the symptom or try to block it with the help of traditional medicine.
This attitude towards one’s health most often ends in failure, because anal itching is a sign that may indicate the development, for example, of some kind of systemic disease, infection, hemorrhoids, or even helminthic invasion. It is important to take this fact into account, and if itching near the anus bothers you for a long period of time, is accompanied by reddening of the skin, a burning sensation or discharge from the anus, then it is important to seek qualified medical help as soon as possible.
Causes and symptoms of itching in the anus
Anal itching can be different, differing in the degree of its manifestation. It can disturb only at night, appear immediately after the act of defecation, be short-term or protracted. There may be several varieties of such a delicate symptom in women. Allocate:
- primary itching that occurs without obvious reasons;
- secondary itching, which is the result of any disease.
The primary form may be true, idiopathic, suicidal, essential, or neurogenic. Secondary itching often indicates the development of diabetes, dysbacteriosis, proctitis, hemorrhoids and other diseases.
The causes of itching in the anus are varied. Doctors note:
- helminthic invasions;
- allergies to household chemicals and other personal hygiene products;
- diseases of the liver and pancreas;
- fistulas, fissures and hemorrhoids;
- various venereal diseases;
- dermatological diseases, namely eczema, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.;
- formations in the colon, including cysts and polyps.
As for concomitant symptoms, itching near the anus can be combined with pain, burning sensation, swelling, peeling of the skin and even weeping scratches.
Only a doctor can determine why itching appeared in the anus. Even if it seems to the patient that the reasons are obvious, it will not be possible to identify the problem without informative diagnostics.
Risk Factors for Anal Itching
Predisposing factors for the appearance of itching in the anus are:
- increased sweating;
- constant wearing of uncomfortable synthetic underwear;
- use of hard toilet paper;
- neglect of the rules of personal hygiene;
- persistent constipation;
- anal sex;
- chronic hemorrhoids;
- uncontrolled intake of antibiotics or other medications;
- constant stress, depression;
- unfavorable working conditions (chemical production, dusty factories, etc.).
Improper nutrition can also be a predisposing factor for the appearance of anal itching. In particular, doctors note the use of too fatty, salty and smoked foods, chocolate, coffee, citrus fruits.
Diagnosis of severe anal itching in women
To determine the causes of severe anal itching in women, it is important to seek medical help initially at least from a therapist. It is necessary to discuss with a specialist possible factors that could provoke the appearance of a delicate symptom. The doctor will take into account the patient’s complaints and prescribe one or more diagnostic manipulations to clarify the diagnosis. Also, consultations of narrower specialists, in particular, a dermatologist, proctologist, gynecologist, gastroenterologist or infectious disease specialist, are not excluded.
Can be assigned;
- tests to identify parasites that provoke itching sensations near the anus;
- a blood test to determine abnormalities in the liver or pancreas;
- anoscopy, which is prescribed to assess the condition of the rectal mucosa;
- colonoscopy, which helps to detect formations, fistulas, cracks or varicose veins of the rectum, which can also lead to itching in the anus;
- ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs in case of suspected pancreatitis or, for example, liver disease.
Still, depending on the age, general health of the patient, the presence of concomitant chronic diseases, the following may be recommended: a blood test for sugar, a smear for gonococci, HIV testing and a stool test for dysbacteriosis. It is necessary to pay attention to the possible connection of anal itching with eating or defecation.
All of these analyzes and tests are optional. The attending physician will select a diagnostic scheme on an individual basis.
Treatment of itching near the anus with hemorrhoids
A short-term or constant sensation of itching near the anus needs treatment. Depending on the causes of severe anal itching, the doctor will prescribe an effective therapy, which may consist of:
- antifungal agents;
- antiallergic medicines;
- anti-inflammatory drugs;
- sedative drugs, etc.
If severe anal itching is a symptom of hemorrhoids, then sometimes not only ointments, rectal suppositories or tablets are prescribed, but also traditional medicine. Your doctor may recommend enemas or washes with:
- sea buckthorn oil;
- lime color;
- oak bark;
- pharmaceutical chamomile;
- burdock root, etc.
Severe anal itching with hemorrhoids, as a rule, worries if the disease is at stages 2, 3 or 4 of its development. Varicose veins of the rectum can be internal or external, chronic or acute. Often hemorrhoids are accompanied by unpleasant symptoms in the form of pain, burning, bloody discharge from the anus.
general surgery / Petrov S.V. — 2012