10 best orthopedic pillows for sleeping
According to statistics, more than 80% of people of working age periodically or constantly suffer from pain in the spine.one. To avoid this, you need to follow the basic rules of a healthy lifestyle, and it is also important to properly organize your workplace and bed. Yes, a mattress and pillow can make a big difference in how you feel. Therefore, doctors recommend choosing an orthopedic pillow — especially if there are problems with the spine.
Soft down is not about her. Such a pillow can even lead to the development of problems with the spine and cause an allergic reaction. The composition and appearance of the orthopedic pillow is significantly different from the usual ones. It consists of elastic synthetic materials such as latex or elastic foam. A somewhat futuristic form is not a whim of the designer: this is how the pillow helps the spine to take a natural position, and the person to relax. A nice bonus is the effect of preventing wrinkles on the face if you have a habit of sleeping with your face in the pillow.
With the help of a high-quality orthopedic pillow, several issues can be solved at once: relieve the spine during rest, relieve muscle tension, normalize the blood supply to the brain, which will help you forget about pain (head and neck) and insomnia. Some products offer additional options: for example, massage, antibacterial, antiallergic and cooling effects.
List of Top 10 Inexpensive and Effective Orthopedic Sleeping Pillows
It is not easy to find a good orthopedic pillow: for the prevention of diseases of the cervical spine, doctors recommend an individual selection of a mattress and pillow2. There is only one principle: the back of the head, as it were, falls into the center of the pillow, and its edge maintains the natural position of the cervical lordosis (curvature of the spine)3.
1. Pillow EcoSapiens orthopedic cushion Ortosleep PRO with memory effect
This device, unlike its counterparts, looks like an ordinary pillow. And this means that it will be easier to switch to the orthopedic mode if you are afraid that it will be uncomfortable out of habit.
Inside the pillow is polyurethane foam, which can take the desired shape, adjusting to the natural curves of the body and supporting the neck during sleep. Pay attention to the shape: the recess is useful if you like to sleep on your side.
The pillow has “classic” parameters: 40x60 cm, height — 13 cm. The inner cover is made of cotton, and the pillowcase is made of hypoallergenic material. By the way, it can be removed and washed as needed — you don’t have to adapt typical rectangular pillowcases. There is a medical registration certificate.
2. Pillow TRELAX orthopedic Respecta П05
The pillow has two rollers of different heights in order to sleep comfortably on your back, on your side and even on your stomach. The anatomical shape follows the curves of the neck.
The size range is presented in three versions: the maximum height of the smallest pillow is 10 cm, the largest one is 14 cm. The manufacturer claims that this device is suitable for both an adult and a teenager.
The pillow is based on polyurethane foam, an elastic material that can take any shape with a memory effect. The set includes a cotton cover and a removable pillowcase, but the manufacturer recommends purchasing an additional one. All materials are hypoallergenic, and silver ions are also declared as part of the polyurethane foam base.
3. Pillow Brener orthopedic Hills
This device for quality sleep has two rollers that repeat the natural cervical lordosis. The dimensions are universal, 40x60 cm, and the rollers, unlike a number of analogues, are of the same height — 12 cm. Depending on the parameters of the body, the pillow may be too small or, on the contrary, with an excessively high rise.
In the center of the pillow there is a recess for the back of the head, covered with rounded cones for micro-massage during sleep. The manufacturer claims that such a massage improves blood circulation and slows down the aging process.
As part of this pillow, like most others, viscoelastic foam, which “remembers” the position and shape of the head.
4. Luomma orthopedic pillow LumF-516
The shape of this pillow differs from ordinary down pillows and from other orthopedic pillows. It looks nice — like a decorative one. But this is also a “trick”: such a design, according to the manufacturer, provides optimal support for the head and neck during sleep, regardless of body position. Also suitable for those who usually sleep on their stomachs.
Pillow filler — polyurethane foam. When choosing, you need to take into account body weight, neck height and shoulder width. There are two sizes: 44x54 and 50x57.
It is worth using this orthopedic pillow for pain in the spine and in order to prevent its diseases. There are also contraindications: in addition to individual intolerance, these include acne on the shoulders (due to metabolic disorders) and inflammatory skin diseases.
5. Pillow Darwin orthopedic Fresh 1.0
As with most orthopedic pillows, here the filling is made of environmentally friendly polyurethane foam, and the upper is made of knitwear. The product is made of hypoallergenic materials.
The pillow has two rollers: higher and lower, with a step of three centimeters. If you prefer to rest on your back, turn a small roller towards you, if you sleep better on your side — higher. Suitable for adults and teenagers, there is also a memory effect
And due to its compact size, this pillow is convenient to take on a trip, especially since the set includes a special bag.
6. Orthopedic sleep pillow PSU4 Familytex
Outwardly, this instance is indistinguishable from an ordinary pillow — the same classic outlines and looks quite soft. This is because the inside is not foam, but polyester. In the center of the pillow — microfiber, and at the edges — a denser polyester. However, in terms of rigidity, this pillow is inferior to many orthopedic products. By the way, you can buy it in addition to a soft or medium hard mattress — it will not be very comfortable to sleep with this pillow on very elastic surfaces.
PSU4 Familytex is not suitable for eliminating the symptoms of spinal diseases, but for prevention. A good option for those who decide to give up soft feather beds, but those who are already familiar with orthopedic pillows will most likely not like it.
The sizes are universal, and the height is greater than that of hard pillows — 16 cm. There is a registration certificate of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
7. MemorySleep Orthopedic Pillow S
A standard pillow with two rolls of different heights that support the neck during sleep. The filler is 100% polyurethane foam. The kit includes a cover made of hypoallergenic jersey, which can be periodically removed and washed.
In reviews, users often note that the pillow is inferior in density to many other analogues. Those who are used to sleeping on a hard bed will consider this a minus, but it can be a good option for “beginners”.
8. Pillow Reutov plant of prosthetics orthopedic Ortho-relax 1175
This device is narrower than many similar pillows, and somewhat shorter: 50x34. The height of the rollers varies considerably: if the low roller (for sleeping on the back) is only 7 cm, the one that is higher (for sleeping on the side) is 12 cm. There is a shallow notch for the shoulder to make it more comfortable to sleep on the side.
The pillow is designed for people suffering from diseases of the spine and joints (osteochondrosis, scoliosis), and for rehabilitation after injuries. The filler is made of elastic memory material, and the cover is made of cotton.
9. Pillow Qmed orthopedic Standart
The product is made of “lazy” polyurethane foam. The “wavy” shape of the pillow follows the natural curves of the spine and head, helping to relieve muscle tension and reduce pain. In addition, when using this device, the curves of the thoracic and lumbar spine come to a normal position. The manufacturer notes that the pillow is optimal for resting on the back.
The thing is quite weighty: if other orthopedic products weigh 1.5–3 kg, this one weighs about 7 kg.
10. Fosta orthopedic pillow F 8030
Universal orthopedic product made of viscoelastic polyurethane foam. The bolsters are 9 and 11 cm high, which allows you to sleep on your back and on your side, if it fits in size. Otherwise, it may be preferable to rest in one position.
The dimensions are non-standard: 32x50 cm, so it may not be suitable for a person with large parameters. On a double bed, such a pillow will look too small. But it can be taken on the road, especially since the pillow weighs less than 1.5 kg.
The pillowcase is made of polyester, but, as stated, with aloe vera impregnation.
How to choose an orthopedic pillow for sleeping
Orthopedic pillows are characterized by elasticity and non-standard shape so that the spine and muscles rest during sleep. Of course, manufacturers make standard products, at best, 2–4 sizes are presented. Which one is right for you is difficult to guess in advance, especially for a non-professional. You should first consult a doctor.
In addition, pillows vary in shape, composition and firmness. If you are planning your first experience with orthopedic sleep products, you cannot do without the help of a doctor or, at least, a store consultant.
It is important to understand that some pillows have contraindications, such as dermatological problems. You should also think about this before buying a particular product. Some devices are more suitable for sleeping in a particular position, so if you sleep strictly on your side or stomach, focus on this. Otherwise, there is a risk of wasting money.
- To choose the right pillow, it is best to try. To do this, you need a couch and many, many orthopedic pillows. “Test” pillows wrapped in polyethylene in orthopedic salons make it possible to lie down with them on the couch and choose the most suitable option for yourself,” notes neurologist Olga Lisenkova.
- The height of the pillow is selected based on the width of the shoulder. Many stores will allow you to lie down and check the comfort of the pillow configuration and its elasticity, says neurologist Olesya Bogomolova. — Within 2 weeks during operation, you will be able to decide whether the pillow suits you or not, and if necessary, take it to the store, replacing it with another model that is more convenient for you.
To sleep more comfortably: top 10 best massage mattresses according to version K
Reviews of doctors about orthopedic pillows for sleeping
- A large number of patients go to the doctor with complaints of pain and discomfort in the neck and shoulder girdle after sleep. If before going to bed you feel better than in the morning, you should pay close attention to the mattress and pillow, says neurologist Olesya Bogomolova. — Ideally, it should be an elastic orthopedic mattress and a well-chosen pillow. It is not recommended to select such products remotely, it is better to come to the store yourself, touch, try and decide. It is also worth emphasizing the strength of our habits. As a rule, immediately after switching to an orthopedic pillow, the patient may experience some discomfort for the first few days, which disappears on its own. The full adaptation time when switching to a new pillow usually takes from 2 weeks to 1 month.
— If you have a sound sleep and nothing hurts, then perhaps a classic pillow is quite suitable for you. Someone generally prefers to do without a pillow, says neurologist Olga Lisenkova. — But if neck pain prevents you from falling asleep, you wake up with the feeling that your arm is numb, if there were neck injuries, then you should definitely pick up an orthopedic pillow.
How to avoid violation of posture and can it be corrected? Will prompt KP
Popular questions and answers
Together with our experts, neurologist Olga Lisenkova and neurologist Olesya Bogomolovawe answer frequent questions from readers about the benefits and contraindications of orthopedic pillows.
What is the difference between anatomic and orthopedic pillow?
What are the benefits of orthopedic pillows?
To whom are orthopedic pillows contraindicated?
Is it possible to sleep on an orthopedic pillow with cervical osteochondrosis?
- Osteochondrosis is a disease of the whole organism. A.K. Tolegenov // Bulletin of KazNMU. 2013. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/osteohondroz-bolezn-vsego-organizma/viewer
- Degenerative diseases of the spine. Clinical guidelines. 2021. URL: https://diseases.medelement.com/disease/%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B0%D1 %82%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0% B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B7%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BE%D1%87 %D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D1%80-%D1%80%D1%84–2021/17111
- Lumbar osteochondrosis: diagnosis, treatment, medical rehabilitation. E.F. Svyatskaya // Problems of health and ecology. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/poyasnichnyy-osteohondroz-diagnostika-lechenie-meditsinskaya-reabilitatsiya/viewer