Beginners in the power fitness areas, as a rule, gain muscle mass very quickly, carefully observing all the necessary conditions for this. And those people who regularly visit the gym and perform basic exercises for 2–3 years, having achieved a certain volume of muscles, often face stabilization of muscle growth. During this period, the muscles stop actively developing and increasing in volume, and in order to overcome this stage, you need to make some changes to the training process and increase the amount of protein in the diet.
An example of a fitness activity to stimulate muscle growth
For experienced gym goers, to overcome the period of stabilization in muscle development and in order to stimulate muscle growth, a fitness program that involves training three times a week can be used as a basis. On the first day after a quality warm-up, which includes articular gymnastics and light cardio, you need to perform the following set of exercises:
- Squats with a barbell (5 sets of 6 reps).
- Flexion of the lower limbs, lying in the simulator (4 sets of 8 times).
- Classic barbell bench press on a horizontal sports bench (3 sets of 10 bench presses each).
- Work with weights on the uneven bars or in the gravitron (3 sets of 10 push-ups).
- Twisting lying on a bench with a negative slope (50 twists in each of 2 approaches).
On the second training day, to activate the process of muscle growth, you should perform the following strength exercises:
- Deadlift with a barbell in its classic version or in the version of “sumo” (3 sets of 10 times).
- Bench press in a sitting position (6 reps in each of 5 sets).
- Breeding of the upper limbs with dumbbells in a standing position (4 sets of 8 times).
- Weighted shrugs (4 sets of 8 reps).
- Bending the upper limbs with lifting the bar to work out the biceps of the shoulders (4 sets of 8 times).
- Hyperextension to strengthen the muscles of the back (up to 12 times in each of 4 approaches).
- Bringing the knees to the chest while hanging on the horizontal bar or gravitron (4 sets of 15 repetitions).
The third training day involves the following set of exercises:
- Squats with a barbell (3 sets of 10 squats).
- Extension of the lower limbs in the simulator (12–15 times in each of 3 approaches).
- Bench press (5 sets of 6 reps).
- Breeding the upper limbs with dumbbells lying on a horizontal bench (4 sets of 8 times).
- Pull-ups with a wide arrangement of brushes on the crossbar (4 sets of 8 reps).
- Classic crunches (2 sets of 50 reps)
Mass Exercise Recommendations
In order for fitness classes conducted according to the program presented above to be as effective as possible, it is necessary to apply the following recommendations of experienced instructors when performing training movements:
- warm-up and warm-up approaches before performing the main physical activity is an obligatory part of fitness, which in no case should be neglected. Not only the efficiency of work depends on the quality of the warm-up, but also the minimization of the risk of injury, after which it is necessary to recover for a long time, skipping workouts or working not at full strength;
- correct working weight. Use the maximum working weight only in basic exercises (squat, bench press and deadlift). In the rest of the training movements, you can take a moderate weight, allowing you to complete the work without technical errors;
- micro-periodization of fitness classes should be followed, alternating light, medium and heavy training. Light workouts include those that use shells with a mass equal to 50–65% of the maximum possible weight, and the elements are performed 10 times. In training of medium intensity, work is carried out for 8 repetitions with shells, the mass of which is 65–80% of the maximum working weight. Heavy high-intensity training involves performing exercises with shells weighing 80–95% of the maximum, and the number of repetitions in the approach does not exceed 6 times;
- including auxiliary training movements in the lesson, you need to choose those that involve muscle groups that are not involved in the base. In addition, the elements of auxiliary training need to be changed periodically in order to be able to work out the muscles of the whole body;
- To stimulate muscle growth, you need to constantly increase the load in fitness classes. This can be done by increasing the working weight or the duration of the load period, as well as by reducing the duration of the breaks between sets.
Diet modification for gaining muscle mass
A balanced diet and a well-organized eating regimen play an important role in the process of building muscle mass through intense strength training. It depends on what nutrients and in what quantity they enter the body with food, whether a person will have enough energy to perform strength exercises and recover after them, and the body will have enough of all the components involved in the formation of new muscle tissue cells.
For active muscle growth in the diet, you need to make the following changes:
- the number of meals should be increased to 6 times a day, 3 of which will be considered main, and 3 — snacks. The volume of portions of the main meals should be 100–200 g more than snacks. Such a diet allows you to avoid the appearance of an acute feeling of hunger and the accompanying stress;
- the amount of protein in the diet should be at least 2.5 g per kilogram of body weight. The lack of protein obtained from products can be compensated by the use of protein shakes and other sports supplements;
- the diet should contain slow carbohydrates in an amount sufficient to provide the body with energy used to maintain normal life under conditions of intense physical exertion, as well as for subsequent recovery.