The horizontal bar is probably the most popular sports equipment, on which everyone likes to practice, from simple athletes to professional athletes. Despite the simplicity of its design, the horizontal bar allows you to work on many muscle groups. With its help, arms, chest, back, abs and hips are perfectly worked out. Regular exercises on the horizontal bar can significantly change your body, making it embossed, without any hint of excess weight. But, in order to get such a result, it is necessary to choose the right exercises and make up a comprehensive program of improving your physical capabilities from them.
The attractiveness of the horizontal bar lies in the fact that it can be found not only in the gym, but also on an ordinary yard area. Also, the crossbar can be installed at home. Thus, you can perform exercises on the horizontal bar at home. All you need is the desire and some free time.
Physical exercise for mass
Many people mistakenly believe that only monotonous exercises for one muscle group can be performed on the horizontal bar: biceps and triceps. But it is enough just to change the grip, and the load will be shifted to other parts of the body. Therefore, it will be useful for a novice athlete to know what types of grip can be used on the horizontal bar, and what is their use:
This is the main method of working with your own weight. The body position is straight, including the arms and legs. With such a grip, the palms are directed away from you;
- reverse grip.
The position of the body is similar to a direct grip. The only difference is that the palms are directed towards the athlete;
- mixed grip.
Here one palm looks at the athlete, the other is directed away from him.
Depending on the distance between the palms, the grip can be narrow, wide and medium. The latter is characterized by the location of the palms shoulder-width apart. A wide grip implies the placement of hands at a distance of 50–80 cm from each other. Narrow grip — when the palms are close together.
Depending on the distance between the hands, the load is distributed to different muscle groups. Physical exercises with a wide grip of the horizontal bar allow you to load the back muscles. While the other two types of grip include biceps, triceps and pecs. If you are no longer a beginner in strength sports, then you can increase the load and make training more difficult by changing the diameter of the horizontal bar to a larger side.
Before you start exercising on the horizontal bar, do not forget to do a warm-up. It should include a short five-minute run and a set of stretching exercises. Warm-up exercises are performed at a slow pace, without sudden movements. This is necessary to warm the muscles and ligaments, to make them more elastic. Including new elements in the warm-up, follow the technique of their implementation. This approach to training minimizes the possibility of injury during training.
Beginners are advised to practice every other day. Dilute your workouts with running, cycling, outdoor sports. To avoid overload, do a couple of classes a week as unloading. This schedule will provide an opportunity to maintain the necessary athletic shape and constantly work on your body. If you decide to do the exercises at home, it will be better if you find yourself a more experienced partner who will help you avoid many of the mistakes made by beginners.
A set of exercises for mass gain
When working on the horizontal bar in the direction of gaining muscle mass, it is recommended to include a barbell, dumbbells and other weighting agents in your workouts. For those who decide to make a set of exercises at home, this may seem difficult. To diversify the training and change the angle of physical activity, it is enough to do push-ups, use the weight of a partner, or additionally exercise on simulators in the gym. Just do it without fanaticism.
The most optimal training schedule: a day of classes — a day of rest or two days of classes — one day of rest. After that, the training cycle is repeated. Below we give an approximate training plan for a two-day cycle.
To gain muscle mass, you can combine physical exercises on the horizontal bar with exercises on the uneven bars. Such a complex usually includes:
- push-ups on the uneven bars;
- work on the horizontal bar on the press (raising the legs to the level of the belt or to the crossbar, depending on the level of physical fitness);
- push-ups on the floor or from a bench;
- push-ups on a high bench with arms wide apart.
All of the above elements make up one training day. In your next session, include:
- pull-ups with a wide grip with the institution of the head over the crossbar;
- work on the press on uneven bars with leg raises;
- pull-ups with different types of grip.
This set of exercises allows you to work out the muscles of the shoulders, arms, hips, chest and back.
Features of performing fitness exercises at home
Of course, when the exercises on the horizontal bar are organized in the gym, it is easier to control the training process. But the quality of doing exercises at home can be very high, if approached correctly.
- Pay more attention to the technique of performing fitness exercises. Remember that when pulling up, you need to include more back muscles in the work, and not focus on the arms.
- Improve your hanging technique on the bar. Use additional weights, wrist straps, magnesia. If possible, train on horizontal bars with different crossbar diameters. To strengthen the strength of the brushes, you can simply wrap a towel around the horizontal bar.
- Do not use inertial force to perform power elements. This gives the illusion that the exercise is being performed, but strength is not being developed. You must personally control each element. It is better to do fewer repetitions, but better.
- Try to maintain a uniform pace of pull-ups. Fast doesn’t mean better.
- Beginners are advised not to force classes. If you feel that the horizontal bar is difficult for you, dilute the workout with other auxiliary exercises or do pull-ups not to the very crossbar.
Learn to control the process of training and enjoy exercise. Then your goal will definitely be realized.