A sound sleep, after which a person wakes up in the morning cheerful and ready for a new day — this is what many strive for, but not everyone succeeds. Sleep disturbance is one of the most common complaints that people turn to doctors of various specialties. There are more than enough reasons that prevent you from falling asleep and having a good night’s sleep. In some cases, you just need to modify your lifestyle, buy a new pillow and bed linen, in others, resort to herbal remedies or alternative medicine methods. However, sometimes it can happen that the cause of insomnia is a very specific disease, and one cannot do without adequate treatment with modern medicines. What can help a person enjoy a sound and sweet night’s sleep? Investigation from MedAboutMe.
Method 1. Modifying the conditions for a night’s sleep
This is the very first method of dealing with insomnia, and sometimes just one is enough. In order for the sleep to be strong and refreshing, the bedroom must meet certain conditions:
- The bed should not be too soft. The ideal mattress is orthopedic. It usually has varying degrees of stiffness on both sides. As a result, you can choose the one that best suits a particular person.
- The pillow should also not be too soft, but rather orthopedic. Feather filler is a thing of the past, and it is increasingly being replaced by modern (bamboo) filler. In pillows, blankets or mattresses that are filled with down, wool or feathers, unwanted tenants (mites, bedbugs) quite often appear, in addition, they have increased allergenicity.
- Bed sheets. There are people who can not fall asleep in a bed covered with dark or too bright linens, the abundance of drawings also does not contribute to relaxation. Ideal shades are light, pastel, matte or cream.
- The bedroom should not be hot. The optimal conditions for a night’s sleep are an air temperature of 16–20 ° C and a humidity of at least 50%. Dry and hot air, which often fills rooms after central heating is turned on, dries out the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. Insomnia may occur due to nasal congestion or headache.
Method 2. Do not eat before bed
Many people know that you should not abuse excessive amounts of food before bedtime. Why is this undesirable? During sleep, all processes in the human body go into slow mode. However, if the stomach is filled to capacity with food, especially if these are such “heavy” foods as fried meat, potatoes, a dozen pies with cabbage, he does not have to dream of any rest. He is forced to work half the night in his usual mode and will certainly take revenge on his master with the appearance of insomnia.
Ideally, the last meal should be 3 hours before going to bed. Do not eat after 18 is relevant only for those who go to bed at 21 o’clock. For those who like to retreat into the arms of Morpheus later, dinner can be rescheduled for a later time, but no later than 21:00.
The last meal should be light: it can be boiled or steamed vegetables, fruits, cottage cheese and cheese, yogurt, kefir, a couple of slices of whole grain bread. It is ideal to go to bed with a feeling of slight hunger.
Method 3. Water procedures
A few minutes in a warm bath or relaxing shower is one of the best ways to calm your nervous system. All the problems of the past day remain in the past and for a few minutes you can forget about everything in the world. Therefore, if you can’t fall asleep for a long time at night, you can try water procedures.
Method 4. Aromatherapy
The use of essential oils can be attributed to one of the most ancient areas of alternative medicine. These compounds are highly concentrated substances that should never be applied directly to the skin, as there is a high risk of burns. However, low concentrations of essential oils in the air can act on the nervous system, promoting relaxation and making it easier to fall asleep.
It is important to consider that these substances have different effects: some calm, while others, on the contrary, excite. And their incorrect use can lead to the opposite effect: all night long there will be a desire to tidy up the apartment, do exercises or move furniture. Therefore, before you buy any essential oil, you need to study all its possible effects.
There are various ways to convey essential oils to a person, which are used in aromatherapy:
- Aroma medallion. A few drops of oil are dropped into the locket and hung next to the bed.
- Applying a substance to various materials, for example, to a scarf, cotton wool, napkin. These items are placed near the bed.
- Oil burner. It is sold in specialized stores and is suitable for experienced aromatherapy lovers.
- Massage with essential oils. Once again, it is worth noting: you can not apply them directly to the skin. Usually, a few drops of essential oil are introduced into the base cosmetic (almond, avocado, olive, etc.), and the resulting mixture is used during the massage.
- Aromavanna. This is the most pleasant way of aromatherapy, which combines the beneficial effects of essential oils and the relaxing effects of taking a bath. Oils can be dripped directly into the water, or you can first enrich cosmetic oil with them, and then also add it to the bath.
Method 5. Soothing herbs
Medicinal preparations based on the following plants have a hypnotic effect:
- Melissa officinalis,
- dill garden,
- creeping thyme,
- Oregano ordinary,
There are various ways to use these products: you can brew them with hot boiling water and take them shortly before bedtime, according to the instructions for use (it is usually included in the package, or written directly on it), or you can add plants to the bath that you plan to take before bedtime. Some of them, such as valerian or motherwort, are also sold in tablet form.
However, it must be remembered that, despite the general misconception, medicinal herbs are also serious remedies. They can interact with medications, cause overdose and addiction. Therefore, such moments should be clarified with a doctor.
Method 6. Sleeping pills
This is the most extreme method, which is resorted to in the case when all the previous ones were ineffective. The fact is that most of the sleeping pills are addictive, mental dependence. That is, with a sharp cessation of treatment, a person may develop a withdrawal syndrome (it is similar to the withdrawal syndrome in people with alcohol dependence). In addition, these drugs have a depressing effect on the nervous system, have various side effects, and interact with other drugs. Therefore, they should be prescribed exclusively by a specialist: a general practitioner or a neurologist.
The main groups of sleeping pills:
- Benzodiazepines (phenozepam, diazepam, lorazepam),
- barbiturates (phenobarbital, sodium etaminal),
- Melatonin receptor antagonists (ramelteon, tasimelteon).
Other groups are appointed much less frequently. It should also be noted that the hypnotic effect is one of the side effects for drugs that are used to treat diseases that are not related to sleep (first-generation antiallergic drugs — suprastin, diphenhydramine, tavegil).
Sound and refreshing sleep is the key to a successful day. Sweet dreams wish you portal MedAboutMe.
Dermatovenereology. National leadership / ed. Yu. K. Skripkina, Yu. S. Butova, O. L. Ivanova - 2014