- Why fur?
- The art of comfort: how to choose a fur blanket?
- Machine washable: Can a faux fur blanket be washed?
- How to wash faux fur blankets?
- Hand wash: how to wash large blankets?
Natural fur has been used for home furnishing since time immemorial. Perhaps it was the skins of animals that became the first interior items of primitive man. They could serve at the same time as a blanket, and clothes, and a carpet, and even an entrance door. Over time, fur products were less and less common at home, giving way to things made of natural wool, and later synthetics. Unlike these light and durable materials, warm but heavy fur bedspreads and blankets required special care. But everything is changing…
Recently, technology has made it possible to create incredibly realistic, lightweight and completely hypoallergenic faux fur blankets. They have become a luxurious attribute of home comfort in a modern way.
The art of comfort: how to choose a fur blanket?
If you are just planning to get a fur blanket and are looking at the assortment in nearby stores, you should think in advance how to make it easier for yourself to wash and dry your fur blanket. To do this, you need to choose just such a blanket that you can take care of yourself:
- Pay attention to the length of the pile. The larger it is, the more carefully you will have to clean the surface of the blanket before soaking and washing. Especially if you decide to wash the blankets in an automatic washing machine. Otherwise, stuck specks will have to be pulled out along with the fibers.
- The structure of the fibers also plays an important role. If your blanket is a good imitation of astrakhan or fine-fleeced sheepskin, you will have to constantly put it in order with a rare stiff brush, otherwise the “wool” will fall off even before you decide to wash the blanket.
- Many blankets have a mixed composition. And it doesn’t have to be 100% synthetic. How to wash such a blanket? Often, cotton is added to polyester fibers to give a more natural texture to the product. This should be taken into account when choosing a washing temperature; in too hot water, the product will simply shrink and deform. Natural wool, which requires special care, may well turn out to be an imitation of fur.
Machine washable blanket: Can a faux fur blanket be washed?
Often, being afraid to approach a faux fur blanket, the owners prefer to give it to dry cleaning. However, even so, no one guarantees that at the end you will receive an updated product, and not a completely damaged thing. If you have a sufficiently capacious washing machine, you can try to wash the blanket yourself. However, before you start the process, you need to clarify something:
- How spacious is the drum of your automatic assistant. You need to look not at the “carrying capacity” of the machine, but rather at the internal volume of the washing compartment. A blanket can weigh quite a bit, and take up plenty of space.
- What is on the product label? It is possible that your blanket cannot be machine washed at all. It’s better to know about it in advance.
- Is the pile firmly fixed in the main fabric of the blanket? If there are doubts that the blanket will not “go bald” after the first attempt, it is better to refuse machine washing altogether, otherwise you will have to buy a woolen blanket, and send the fur blanket to live out its life in the country.
The optimum temperature for washing a faux fur blanket is 35–40 degrees. Water of this temperature does not wash out dyes, allowing the product to maintain the brightness and intensity of color. In addition, in slightly warm water, neither natural nor synthetic blankets are deformed, retaining their shape.
How to wash faux fur blankets?
Before loading, the blanket must be shaken out, getting rid of litter and dust, it is better to remove large specks by hand or comb them out with a rare stiff brush. If there are noticeable stains or heavy soiling on the blanket, before laying in the machine, they must be treated with a mild stain remover for colored items and left for some time to work. In combination with liquid detergent, it is imperative to use amplifiers and conditioner. Here are some more practical tips on how to properly care for a faux fur blanket:
- Do not push the blanket into the drum at random. Gently roll the fabric into a loose roll with the nap inward. This will prevent the fibers from rolling and tangling and will help keep the original shape of the product.
- Instead of the usual powder, use gels, they are better washed out of the material and do not leave marks after rinsing. Washing the blanket will go without problems. If there is no liquid product at hand, then carefully dilute the powder in a small amount of warm water, without foaming.
- Choose the “synthetic” mode and try not to use the automatic spin or choose the lowest speed available in the program. It’s best to just let the blanket flow naturally over the tub. Washing a faux fur blanket should be very gentle.
- As for drying with a faux fur blanket, it is best to dry the products on a horizontal surface. Creases may remain on the blanket from the clothesline, the direction of the faux fur pile will change, the product may stretch out.
- Do not dry the blanket in the sun or in a poorly ventilated area. Wet faux fur perfectly absorbs any odors, just like a blanket made of natural fibers. And fades quickly in direct sunlight.
- After drying, comb the blanket with a brush in the direction of the pile and shake to give it its original volume.
Hand wash: how to wash large blankets?
For hand washing a faux fur blanket, most of the recommendations already voiced are relevant. It is only worth remembering. That such products cannot be twisted or shorted. You will have to use a bath as a container for soaking and washing, since the blanket must be completely covered with water with a detergent composition dissolved in it. The soaking time should be increased to 40 minutes (wash as a product made of delicate materials), and the number of rinses depends on the intensity of the washing out of the powder or gel from the main body of the product. How can I wash a fur blanket by hand, while maintaining the elasticity and volume of the pile? It is not necessary to roll the blanket into a roll, just fold it in half with the right side inward.