The basics of proper feeding of young mothers are taught both in courses for pregnant women and in the maternity hospital, during the first applications. Those who have already known the joy of motherhood know that the correct position of the baby in the process of feeding plays an important role.
- Why is it better to feed newborns while sitting?
- Help and Support
- Tips for new parents
- What should a nursing pillow be made of?
- Product care
Why is it better to feed newborns while sitting?
One of the most important stages of education, care and communication with the baby at an early age is breastfeeding. About unconditional benefits such natural feeding is said by all neonatologists and pediatricians. It is no coincidence that in order to restore psychological balance and establish close contact between mother and child, a newborn is applied to the chest while still in the delivery room.
There are many positions for feeding a baby, they are not chosen randomly, it all depends on the intensity of milk production, the size of the breasts and nipples, the age of the child and even the time of day. However, the so-called “cradle” position remains the most popular and most comfortable. During feeding, the mother sits, leaning her back on the back of a chair or sofa, the baby lies horizontally in her arms, turning her tummy to the mother’s body. This position reduces the load on the spine of an adult and provides comfort to the child.
Back to content
Help and Support
In infancy, children grow by leaps and bounds. They also eat very often. Within a month, a mother may feel that her baby has noticeably gained weight and it is becoming more and more difficult to keep her on weight while eating. In addition, since the growing body needs more and more milk every time, the “meal” time also increases. In this case, a special pillow for feeding will become an indispensable assistant for young parents. It will ensure the correct position of the child’s body and reduce the load on the lumbar and thoracic spine of a woman.
It should be noted that the pillows presented in the Dreamcatcher online store are very compact, so you can take them with you to visit and to the clinic, on long trips and even for a walk.
There are two main types of these accessories on the market:
- fixed at the waist, thanks to a convenient boomerang shape and ties on the pillowcase;
- cushions without fixation, with an additional cushion that allows you to change the angle of the surface.
- Both options are equally convenient and in demand. And yet, there are certain nuances that will help you choose a nursing pillow that is ideal for you.
Back to content
Tips for new parents
When deciding to buy a nursing pillow, you should pay attention to some important nuances:
- If the mammary glands are high and the distance from the knees to the nipples in a sitting position is large enough, you need to choose a larger pillow with a high base.
- For overweight women, the best option may be a feeding pillow “Mother’s Joy”. It is not fixed at the waist, but simply fits on the knees. If necessary, a small standard pillow that comes with the kit is placed under the main accessory from the side of the baby’s head.
- The choice of colors and design is practically unlimited, in the catalog you can pick up charming options for pink, cream, lilac, blue, peach, white and light green. All of them are decorated with soft lace and cozy appliqués.
- The pillow material should be as safe and easy to clean as possible, because babies can spit up milk during feeding.
Back to content
What should a nursing pillow be made of?
- Since we are talking about products for infants, the issue of quality should come first. Particular attention should be paid to the material of the case. It is best if it is hypoallergenic cotton, which has good hygroscopicity, is easy to wash and dries quickly.
- As a filler, safe, light and elastic synthetic materials are suitable — artificial swan down, holofiber and polystyrene granules. They do not cake, do not absorb unpleasant odors, dry quickly and restore their original volume. In addition, dust mites, which are the cause of many diseases, will never start inside such pillows.
- When choosing a decor for a nursing pillow, it is worth stopping at a simple design that will not distract the baby from eating, a minimum of lace and voluminous elements, calm shades — this is what will make the process harmonious and truly useful for both mother and child.
Back to content
Cleaning and washing everything that a baby comes into contact with in one way or another is a prerequisite for the hygiene of the first year of life. It is not enough to choose a pillow for feeding, you must constantly keep it clean. To make the process hassle-free, use our instructions:
- If you’re feeding your baby without diapers, or simply don’t have the time to do extra laundry, it’s best to cover your pillow with a small, disposable diaper. Its absorbent surface is soft and pleasant to the touch, besides it does not rustle and does not distract from eating. The use of oilcloth is possible, but it will attract the attention of the baby, preventing him from focusing on food.
- Light dirt on the surface of the cover can be removed with a mild solution of baby powder or detergent. Simply apply the solution to the surface and wipe it vigorously, leave the product for a few minutes, and then gently go over with a clean, damp cloth. Dry the pillow avoiding direct sunlight, which can damage the artificial filling.
- If the soiling is more serious, the pillow must be carefully washed in the washing machine without the use of bleaching agents and pre-soaking. It is best to wash on a delicate wash and straighten the product properly after spinning.
- Synthetic swan down and holofiber perfectly tolerate any number of washes. With pillows filled with polystyrene balls, special care is required, it is necessary to act carefully so that the dense material is not damaged during washing and the filler does not get into the drum of the machine.