The muscles of the chest (or, as they are also called, the pectoral muscles), with proper development, give the figure of a man an attractive shape, since a wide chest has always been considered a sign of masculinity and strength. It is also useful for women to perform breast exercises to maintain the shape of the bust and prevent sagging of the mammary glands.
A set of strength exercises for the chest
In order to exert an intense load on the pectoral muscles and thereby stimulate their strengthening and active growth, it is necessary to include several elements from the following strength complex in the fitness training:
- Bench press.
To technically correctly squeeze out the working weight, you need to lie on a horizontal bench, grab the bar with your palms wide apart, and remove the barbell from the fixing racks. Further in the exercise, you should bring the bar closer to the chest. Inhaling, straighten the upper limbs and press the barbell to a position above the chest. After a second, slowly lower the projectile to its original position. This bench press puts a load not only on the pectoral muscles, but also involves the triceps, deltas and trapezium, so it must be included in the fitness program for the development of the muscles of the torso.
- Bench press with dumbbells.
Technically, this training movement is identical to the bench press and also intensively loads the chest muscles and other muscle groups of the torso. In addition, due to the need to constantly control the position of both dumbbells and their vertical trajectory, stabilizing muscles are forced to join the work. In addition, dumbbells are more convenient to use during home fitness training.
- Bench press performed on an incline bench.
The technique of this variation of the press involves making movements in a given sequence: lie down on a bench, rest your feet on the floor, remove the projectile from the stands and, holding it with a fairly wide grip, bring it closer to the top of the chest. Further, having inhaled, it is necessary to squeeze out the working weight, observing the vertical trajectory of the projectile, despite the inclined position of the torso. In this exercise (provided that the angle of the bench is approximately 20 degrees), the load is focused on the muscles located in the lower part of the chest. The main advantage of the incline bench press is that it allows you to take much more weight than a horizontal one.
- Incline bench press performed with dumbbells.
The protocol for performing this exercise does not differ from similar work with a barbell. However, in this variation of the bench press, it is extremely important to choose the right dumbbell weight. If the mass of projectiles is too large, then this training movement cannot be performed in full amplitude, which means that its effectiveness will decrease and, in parallel, the risk of injury will increase.
- Bench press on a bench with a negative slope.
The principle of performing this element of fitness training is the same for all pressing movements from the chest: you must first bring the bar closer to the torso, and then move it to the distance of outstretched arms. The benefit of such a bench press is not only in the development of the pectoral muscles, but also in increasing the elasticity of the pectoralis major muscle. To avoid the negative consequences of a long stay in the upside down position, you need to raise the body during the rest period between sets of the exercise.
- Breeding dumbbells.
Having taken the shells, lie down on the bench and place the dumbbells in front of the chest on outstretched arms so that their heads are directed towards the head and knees. After taking a deep breath, you need to slowly spread the upper limbs to the sides. When the shells fall just below the bench, you need to pause in the exercise, exhaling during this period of time. Bringing the shells together in front of the chest, repeat the exercise.
In fitness classes aimed at stimulating the growth of chest muscle mass, you must be guided by the following tips from experienced sports instructors in order to get a positive result as soon as possible:
- fitness classes for the development of pectoral muscles must begin with a warm-up. It should contain elements of articular gymnastics and such energetic movements as swings and breeding of the upper limbs. In addition, the warm-up may include a light cardio load that helps increase blood flow to the target muscles;
- at the end of a fitness workout, after completing the main complex, you need to stretch the muscle fibers well. This is necessary in order to relax the muscles and activate regeneration processes in it. Such a hitch also reduces the risk of krepatura, which often accompanies strength training;
- When choosing a working weight, you need to focus on the level of physical fitness. At the same time, at the initial stage, preference should be given to lighter projectiles and gradually increase the load, focusing on a feeling of lightness when working with a given working weight;
- the number of repetitions of exercises in each approach and the number of approaches themselves should correspond to the degree of muscle training and the ultimate goal of the training. To increase muscle mass, you should work with heavy weights and perform a small number of repetitions, and to separate the muscles of the chest and give them relief, you need to focus on high repetitions and use shells that are not too heavy.
Mistakes in fitness training for the pectoral muscles
In order for fitness classes, the purpose of which is the formation of voluminous and embossed chest muscles, to be effective and safe, the following common mistakes should be avoided during training:
- you should not chase heavy working weight, which in most cases leads to a violation of the technique, and therefore to injuries, as well as to the redistribution of the load from the chest muscles to other muscle groups;
- the use of only pressing exercises leads to adaptation of the muscles, therefore, a variety of training movements must be included in the fitness program;
- working only with free weight is also a minus. Modern simulators allow you to work out all the main muscle groups of the chest, so you should not ignore power sports equipment.