Many standard programs with strength exercises are categorically not suitable for ectomorph people because of their physiological characteristics. Those who are prone to thinness have a harder time gaining muscle mass than those who are inclined to be overweight. That is why ectomorphs should adhere to special complexes that will save the body from general disharmony, as well as develop muscles efficiently and efficiently.
Who are ectomorphs?
The concept of “ectomorph” includes both men and women — those who are naturally slender and have long, thin, and rather weak limbs. As a rule, such people have a very fast metabolism, which is why the muscle fibers do not increase, but remain the same weakened and undeveloped. However, contrary to myths, the situation can be corrected. The best assistant for a lean person to gain weight is a properly structured fitness training schedule, a clear training program and a balanced diet.
The main aesthetic problems of any ectomorph are narrow shoulders, a flat chest, weak muscle tone, thin hips and a very small percentage of body fat. All these and other features can be effectively corrected, but some effort will have to be made.
You can even work out at home, but to consolidate the results and improve performance, it is recommended to purchase a subscription to the gym. If necessary, the coach will help to correct the program, correct typical mistakes in the execution technique and give appropriate recommendations on both exercises and diet.
Ectomorph Fitness Training Rules
Ectomorphs when conducting fitness training for mass must take into account a number of important nuances. They will help increase the effectiveness of strength training and additionally secure it: due to physiological characteristics, it is thin people who most often receive various types of injuries and sprains, especially when performing physical exercises with heavy shells.
- Concentrate on the intensity of the set of exercises, and not on the amount of physical activity performed. To increase the volume, it is the tension and the degree of resistance with which a person performs power work that is important. For the same reason, it is recommended to practice a small number of repetitions with an increased number of sets (for example, 7–8 sets of 6 repetitions or 4–5 sets of 10 repetitions). All movements should be performed slowly but rhythmically. At the moments of overcoming, you should strain the target muscles and inhale, and at the moments of relaxation, exhale.
- For ectomorphs, the ideal exercise regimen is a superset. First, 3–5 exercises are performed one after another, then a 30-second pause is observed, then another 3–4 physical loads are performed, and after them the superset ends with a 60-second rest. Such a cycle is performed in 3–4 calls.
- It is extremely undesirable for ectomorphs to overload muscles, so fitness training should not last more than 40 minutes. This is due to another important feature of their physiology. The longer the strength training, the more powerful the heart rate begins to accelerate, provoking the launch of metabolic processes and fat burning. Since the goal of an ectomorph with a fast metabolism is to increase muscle size, and not burn calories, just 30 minutes of strength work will be enough to subsequently get both voluminous muscles and beautiful athletic relief.
Basic set of exercises for mass
The standard set of exercises for an ectomorph is represented by a variety of physical activities that ensure the harmonious development of all areas of the body.
It is important for people with ectomorphic body types to focus on the basic movements so as not to waste time on isolated exercises. This approach will save not only time, but also money on unnecessary shells or on an additional subscription to the gym.
The list of the most effective physical exercises for an ectomorph can include:
It activates a huge number of muscle fibers, simultaneously pumping the back, legs, trapezius muscles. Also, a static load involves the upper shoulder girdle;
- squats on a support (box, bench).
The advantage of this variant of squats is that the support allows you to control the depth of the squat and not sit lower than necessary. Such an exercise to the maximum involves the femoral and gluteal muscles, and also works out the upper bundles of the calf muscles;
- bench press lying on the floor.
The position lying on the floor, and not on a horizontal bench, allows thin people to successfully control the position of the elbows at the time of lowering the bar: they cannot be physically lowered lower than necessary for pumping the chest, biceps and triceps;
- army bench press projectile in a power rack.
Physical activity in this simulator allows even an ectomorph to take more weight than a worker. The movement involves a larger volume of muscle fibers, forcing them to contract to the limit already in 1–2 sets. Perfectly pumps the upper shoulder girdle.
Weight training program
For successful mass gain, ectomorphs should use a 4‑week program that includes a high-performance set of exercises. Loads are considered basic, so even beginners will not have questions when they are performed.
The program is designed for a month with 3 classes per week. The load is evenly distributed over all the main zones, thanks to which the muscles of the whole body are pumped as harmoniously as possible.
To increase the effectiveness of this program, you should gradually increase the power load. To do this, you need to increase the weight of the shells every week or add additional weights to the elements. In the conditions of the hall, they can serve as weighting belts or special cuffs with weights on the ankles. The repetition of each exercise must be performed in full amplitude — until the elbows or knees are fully extended.
Between the days of classes, 1–2 days should pass, so that during this period the muscle fibers have time to recover and prepare for the upcoming load.
- pull-ups with reverse grip of the horizontal bar;
- lifting the neck in an incline.
Each element is performed in 2 sets and 5 repetitions (for the first week of classes). Every seven days, the number of approaches must be increased by one, and the number of repetitions by 1–2, up to the fourth week of training.
- neck press, lying on the floor;
- army barbell bench press in a frame;
- dumbbell bench press with narrow arms.
Each exercise is practiced in 3 sets of 5–6 repetitions for the first and second weeks of training, and in 4 sets of 8 repetitions for the third and fourth training weeks.
- squats on a support;
- Bulgarian squats;
- neck deadlift.
Each element of the complex is performed in 3 sets of 5–6 repetitions — for the first week of training, in 4 sets of 7–8 repetitions — for the second and third training weeks, and in 3 sets of 10 repetitions — for the last, fourth week of training.
One of the most important success factors for any ectomorph is balanced sports nutrition. You need to include in your daily diet a wide variety of protein foods (eggs, meat, fish, legumes, dairy products), as well as fiber and healthy fats.
It must be remembered that it is protein that allows you to qualitatively thicken and build muscle fibers, so in addition to the main diet, do not neglect high-quality gainers — protein shakes to maintain the necessary athletic shape.