The speed of gaining muscle mass depends on many parameters of a person, including his type of physique. Therefore, in order to gain a sports pumped-up figure, it is necessary to organize a diet and fitness training, focusing on your somatotype. For the first time, the theory of dividing people into three body types was proposed by Dr. William Herbert Sheldon back in 1940.
Somatotypes are characterized by the following differences:
Thin and fragile-looking people with a narrow chest and poorly developed muscles. Often they are completely skinny and do not gain excess weight, regardless of the amount eaten.
Athletic, strong, muscular people who put on weight fairly easily.
Quickly gain both muscle and fat volume. It is usually difficult to get rid of excess mass.
Today we will talk about ectomorphs, which can be easily recognized by their slender, thin-boned build and long, thin limbs.
Features of the addition and nutrition of ectomorphs
Representatives of this type look fragile and lack volumetric relief. They are distinguished by narrow shoulders, a small amount of hips, chest and an elongated rectangular silhouette. Ectomorphs are quite hard to build muscle tissue and are often found among dancers and fashion models.
Women with a similar physique stand out with a frail boyish figure, while men look thin and sinewy. Often such people seem too weak due to insufficient muscle mass. When trying to gain weight, ectomorphs are forced to literally fight for every kilogram: both fat and muscle mass are extremely reluctant to gain.
The diet of ectomorphs should not be low in calories, since a lack of calories will lead to loss of muscle mass much faster than representatives of other body types. Therefore, it is better for ectomorphs to get rid of local fat deposits, if they appear, with the help of a balanced diet and cardio exercises.
And although many representatives of this type would prefer to have a more muscular body, the ectomorphic addition has its own significant advantages:
- On a fragile body, even a small amount of muscle will look distinct and bold.
- An accelerated metabolism allows you to indulge in the pleasure of enjoying delicious food and, if necessary, burning excess fat faster.
- Long limbs seem to be designed to perform deadlifts, making these exercises extremely effective.
- With age, a lean build often shifts into a mesomorphic metabolic regime, allowing a person to maintain a toned, youthful figure.
Diet plan for fitness and muscle building
Despite the frequent underweight, adult ectomorphs are characterized by a high percentage of subcutaneous fat, so they often look quite loose. They should definitely take care of regular exercise and proper nutrition. Moreover, diet plays a key role in gaining muscle volume.
The optimal diet is determined individually, depending on gender, age, weight and physical activity of a person. However, the approximate required caloric content of an athlete’s diet can be determined by multiplying the weight in kilograms by 38–40. So, for example, a 60-kilogram athlete should consume 2280–2400 kcal per day.
Since calories are a source of energy, in order to build muscle mass, you should create a slight excess of them. This will provide the body with the strength to perform physical exercises and the building material for the muscles. However, this should be done in moderation, as too much excess calories can easily turn into body fat.
An ectomorph should eat 6–8 times a day with an interval of 2.5–3 hours. Nutrition should be balanced as follows: proteins — 20–25% of total calories, carbohydrates — 50–60%, fats — 20–25%. When compiling a diet, it must be taken into account that one gram of proteins contains 4 kcal, one gram of carbohydrates — 4 kcal, and one gram of fat — 9 kcal.
At the same time, protein performs the main function of building and restoring muscle tissue. Carbohydrates are a source of energy for muscles, the brain and the whole body. And fats are necessary for additional energy, normalization of hormonal levels, protection of joints and good mood.
These macronutrients are recommended to be obtained from the following products:
- proteins — lean meat and poultry, fish, seafood, eggs, cottage cheese, low-fat dairy products;
- carbohydrates — cereals, vegetables, fruits, potatoes, whole grain bread and pasta;
- fats — nuts, seeds, avocados, fatty fish, olive and linseed oils.
With active sports, you should supplement your diet with high-quality vitamin and mineral complexes. If there is a desire to treat yourself to sweets, you can include chocolate, ice cream or dry cookies in the diet, provided that they make up no more than 15% of the total calories consumed. Moreover, it is better to eat such food in the morning.
If, despite all efforts, the problem with weight gain persists, it is worth contacting a doctor, except for possible medical reasons. In some diseases, such as hyperthyroidism, people are physically unable to gain weight.
A set of exercises for mass gain
This fitness program is designed for owners of ectomorphic complexion with an average level of physical fitness. Its duration is 10 weeks, the duration of the workout is 60 minutes, the number of sessions per week is 4.
Rules for performing fitness exercises:
- warm-up — cardio exercises, 5–10 minutes;
- hitch — muscle stretching and cardio load;
- exercise scheme — 2–1‑2 seconds;
- the interval between approaches is up to 2 minutes;
- interval between exercises — 3 minutes;
- work with the press — Monday and Wednesday, or Wednesday and Friday.
The weekly schedule looks like this:
- Monday. Work with the pectoral muscles and triceps — barbell and dumbbell presses, dumbbell wiring, push-ups on the uneven bars.
- Tuesday. Working out the back and biceps — dumbbell rows, rowing, lifting the barbell to the biceps, alternating dumbbell curls.
- Wednesday is rest.
- Thursday. Quad and hamstring work – squats, leg presses, deadlifts, leg curls.
- Friday. Working out the shoulders and calves of the legs — bench presses and dumbbells, lifting dumbbells, lifting on toes.
- Saturday and Sunday — rest.
Thus, ectomorphs who want to make their figure more athletic are able to successfully gain muscle mass. You just need to take care of proper nutrition, regular exercise and good rest.