The life of a modern person is dynamic, so he has to adapt to changes, including in nutrition. It is most difficult for those who have systemic pathologies and, therefore, special needs to adhere to the recommended diet. In addition to the need to take preventive measures to protect against infections, one should take a responsible approach to choosing a menu during business trips, trips to other cities and countries.
What is therapeutic nutrition?
Diet affects people’s health. Therefore, a person has learned to use diets as one of the elements of complex treatment and prevention of various pathologies.
There are fifteen main and several additional treatment and prophylactic tables, which were developed in the thirties of the last century by the outstanding Russian doctor and scientist Manuil Isaakovich Pevzner. They help prevent the development of various pathologies and their complications, including:
- diseases caused by infection;
- kidney disease, etc.
Russians who have dietary recommendations in their medical records, as a rule, adhere to one of the Pevzner diets. A carefully thought-out menu helps to alleviate pathological symptoms, improve the clinical picture of various pathologies, and prevent the development of relapses of chronic diseases and unwanted complications.
No one cancels therapeutic and preventive nutrition on business trips, romantic trips, etc. Quite the contrary: any lifestyle changes are fraught with additional stresses that can adversely affect the health of any person, especially those who already have systemic pathologies, chronic diseases. Among the adverse factors may be:
- change of time zones;
- disruption of circadian rhythms;
- lack of sleep;
- forced physical inactivity on the road;
- adverse weather conditions;
- unusual composition of drinking water;
- ecological situation;
- unfamiliar cuisine;
- new microbes, etc.
In order to minimize the negative impact and protect your own health, first of all, you should remember about dietary recommendations and choose safe food.
Therapeutic and preventive diet while traveling
- When planning a wellness vacation, you can choose a sanatorium of the appropriate profile ahead of time, where they offer therapeutic and preventive nutrition recommended for certain pathologies.
- On a business trip or pleasure trip, it is easiest for patients to follow the principles of the recommended diet, strictly adhering to the lists of allowed and prohibited foods when choosing a menu. When going on the road, you can find them on the MedAboutMe website and save them in your smartphone or tablet notebook.
- In the menu of restaurants or cafes, you should look for those dishes that are recommended, paying attention not only to the set of ingredients, but also to the method of preparation. Fried, canned, smoked foods are not shown to absolutely everyone.
- The simpler the recipe, the easier it is to understand whether the food is healthy or dangerous.
- You should not risk getting acquainted with the peculiarities of unfamiliar national cuisines. Curiosity sometimes costs too much.
- A kind of “lifesaver” can be a universal dietary dish, for example, a protein omelet (steam or baked), oatmeal on the water, cottage cheese casserole, etc.
- If there is only a complex lunch in the catering assortment, try to choose the least dangerous dishes from the proposed dishes: vegetable soups, mashed potatoes, rice and other cereal side dishes, baked vegetables, etc.
- In any corner of the world, with the exception of uninhabited islands, you can have a snack with natural fermented milk products without sugar and other additives.
- But just in case, in order to satisfy your hunger without resorting to dubious fast food dishes, without being tempted by ready-made confectionery, chips, etc., we advise you to have a healthy snack on hand that is not contraindicated. For example, natural yogurt, a bag of nuts, a jar of applesauce, a banana, etc.
- Keeping in mind that water is more important than food, and it is necessary to maintain optimal hydration of the body, especially in case of systemic pathologies, keep a bottle of clean drinking water with you, always and everywhere.
Beware of infection!
Regardless of whether a person is healthy or has any disease, a meeting with an aggressive pathogenic microflora can be fraught with tragic consequences. When traveling, there is an intestinal infection, a variety of influenza viruses, herpes, hepatitis pathogens, helminths, etc. They are especially dangerous for those people whose body is already weakened by existing chronic pathologies.
- The source of infection is often water and food. The infection can lurk in ice cubes. Therefore, we do not recommend drinking soda, fresh juices, cocktails, tea and other alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks with ice.
- No less dangerous are various sauces, for example, mayonnaise, mustard. In addition to being included in the list of prohibited foods for patients with diseases of the digestive system and many others due to harmful food additives and pungent taste, they are prepared without the use of heat treatment. Salmonella, shigella and other dangerous bacteria adore such a nutrient medium, so all members of the “raw” sauce family are “time bombs” for anyone, even a perfectly healthy person.
- Be careful when eating ice cream and other chilled dairy desserts, which can undergo countless freeze-thaws, becoming a hotbed of infection.
- We do not recommend eating seafood, which is often the cause of poisoning, recurrence of inflammatory pathologies of the digestive system.
- Avoid cold meat and fish snacks.
- Among the allowed fruits, you should choose those that can be peeled, or additionally washed with drinking bottled water.
In order not to ruin your vacation or business trip, follow the diet recommended by your doctor, be careful when choosing products and observe personal hygiene.