Sleep problems happen to everyone from time to time. Overwhelming emotions, physical or mental fatigue, lack of physical activity and other factors negatively affect the process of immersion in the kingdom of Morpheus. What can be done to improve sleep quality and come faster?
Problems with falling asleep, when a person is spinning in bed for several hours, is worse than any torture, and awakening from any rustle and subsequent insomnia also unsettle for a long time. If this happens regularly, then the quality of human life suffers significantly. He becomes irritable, morally depressed, his working capacity decreases and his immunity is weakened. The risk of heart attacks and other diseases increases.
The surest way to improve sleep is to not wait for it.
No matter how trite it may seem, but you should not escalate the situation, think about insomnia and that now you won’t be able to fall asleep again. Morale is of great importance, so you need to learn not to be nervous about this. It is necessary to agree with yourself and say to yourself something like: “Now I’ll lie down for a bit and if I don’t feel the desire to fall asleep, I won’t suffer, but I’ll do some housework — I’ll wash the dishes, clean the plumbing, etc. “. If you do not focus on the problem, then there are high chances that it will be solved by itself and the person’s sleep will improve.
How to establish a sleep and rest regimen — doctor’s advice
Often, problems with falling asleep occur in those who go to bed at different times of the day. Here again, we had to sit down for a dissertation at night, or the authorities urgently called me on duty, and then we are surprised that we can’t fall asleep in any way. As for the division into “larks” and “owls”, this is all the result of many years of habit and features of the main activity, which, if desired, can be changed. In 3–4 weeks, you can learn to get up early — at 6 o’clock in the morning, and go to bed at 22.00, or rather at 22.30, since during this time 5 phases of a person’s sleep, 1.5 hours each, must pass.
Why does the doctor’s advice provide for a restructuring from the “owl” mode to the “lark”? If you wake up early and refuse to take a nap, by 10 pm you will be tired enough for the day and want to sleep. In addition, this is also important because our nervous system receives a good rest precisely from 22.00 to 24.00 hours. This period is also called the “magic dream” and not by chance. It cannot be replaced by hours of “oversleeping” after 6 am and any other rest schedule that does not include this period of time.
Being a “lark” is more useful than an “owl” in terms of health, because food taken at night does not turn into energy, since all biochemical processes in the body are slowed down, but is stored in reserve, that is, it turns into fat. And this is overweight, problems with blood vessels, etc.
Preparatory activities before bedtime as prevention and treatment of insomnia
Do not lose sight of this moment, because even the smallest detail such as cold feet can make you suffer for a long time and wait for immersion in the kingdom of Morpheus. Therefore, before going to bed, it is recommended to carry out a number of activities, choosing one of them or combining several methods with each other at once to quickly fall asleep:
- take a warm bath. Hard work, stress and anxiety lead to an increase in muscle tone. Warm baths will help to relax them and relieve spasm. You can add soothing essential oils to the water — lemon balm, lavender, cypress, juniper, cedar. You can combine taking a bath with aromatherapy if you light an aroma lamp;
- get a relaxing massage. Of course, one cannot do without the help of one of the family members, but if no one is around, you can independently stretch the muscles of the arms and legs, neck. And if you experience discomfort in the back area, get a Kuznetsov applicator and lie on it for a while;
- turn on soft music. On sale you can find special discs for meditation and relaxation with the sounds of nature — birds singing, the sound of the sea, etc. You can include classical works or church hymns;
- slow down breathing. It is no secret that it naturally slows down during sleep, so you can help yourself by accelerating its onset if you start doing special breathing exercises: take a breath and mentally slowly count from 1 to 6. As you exhale, mentally say 7, 8, 9, 10;
- put on a dark blindfold before going to bed so that the body starts producing melatonin, the sleep hormone;
- ventilate the room, and if it is not too cold outside, you can leave the window ajar. Experts say that a person’s sleep is highly dependent on the air temperature in the bedroom. The most comfortable indicators vary within + 18–20 ᵒС;
- turn off the lights. If you don’t feel comfortable in total darkness, then at least turn it down and make sure it doesn’t hit you in the face. If you decide to purchase a night light, then choose a device that emits red light;
- stop mental and physical activity at least an hour before bedtime, otherwise you will need more time for the body to rebuild and active processes to be replaced in it by processes of inhibition and falling asleep;
- do not eat 3–4 hours before bedtime. You should not go to bed either on an empty stomach or on a full stomach. If you feel the urge to eat, drink a glass of kefir.
Calming drinks are a great way to improve a person’s sleep
As you know, tea with honey is an excellent tool for restful sleep, but you need to put this beekeeping product not in boiling water, but in hot water, otherwise all its beneficial properties will be neutralized. Instead of tea, herbalists recommend brewing medicinal herbs, but the main thing here is not to overdo it and not to turn off the infusions before going to bed with mugs, otherwise there will simply be no time to rest — an overflowing bladder will torment you. Here are the recipes for making the most effective drinks:
- mix the crushed roots of valerian and angelica in equal proportions. Pour the mixture in a volume of 20 g with 200 ml of plain clean water and boil in a water bath for 20 minutes. Infuse for 45 minutes, then filter, add water to the original volume and drink ¼‑1/3 cup twice or thrice a day;
- mix in equal proportions chamomile flowers, peppermint, fennel, cumin and valerian. A mixture of 2 tbsp. l. pour 1 glass of plain clean water and prepare a decoction according to the previous recipe. Take 1/3 cup three times a day.
According to the same recipe, you can prepare a decoction of motherwort, St. John’s wort, Ivan tea, wormwood, lemon balm, lavender. All of them will help set the body for a healthy and sound sleep.