Traditionally, it is believed that the biggest disadvantage of a figure is excess weight. Excessive thinness — although not as common a problem as overweight, but its solution requires no less effort. Mostly men suffer from a lack of kilograms, since a thin body does not look courageous. It is a mistake to believe that in order to gain weight, you only need to include high-calorie foods in unlimited quantities in your diet. In this way, you can only accumulate fat and as a result get a narrow chest, thin limbs, as well as a huge sagging belly and a number of health problems. Therefore, men should approach mass gain responsibly and competently.
Individual calculation of the number of calories for weight gain
A sound strategy for safely gaining weight through proper nutrition should begin with a visit to the doctor. This is necessary to make sure that excessive thinness is not associated with chronic diseases and hormonal changes. If the doctor has not identified any abnormalities, then you can take action using an integrated approach, which includes the following points:
individual calculation of the required number of calories and correction of the diet in accordance with the data received;
- drawing up a fitness program that will help build muscle mass.
To find out the number of calories you need to safely and sustainably increase your body weight, you first need to calculate how much energy your body expends to maintain normal resting activity, or basal metabolic rate. This can be done as follows, using the standard formula: to the number of kilograms of body weight, multiplied by 10, you need to add the product of height in centimeters and a factor of 6.25. From this sum, subtract the number of years multiplied by 5, and add 5 to the resulting value, i.e. (weight in kg * 10 + height in cm * 6.25 — age * 5 + 5) u003d basal metabolic rate of the body at rest.
Knowing the number of calories that provide basic metabolism, you can begin to calculate the daily calorie intake that contributes to weight gain, taking into account daily physical activity. Depending on the lifestyle a man leads and whether intense proper physical activity is included in daily activity, the basic calorie intake must be multiplied by the standard coefficient:
- with a sedentary and sedentary lifestyle without any fitness training and active physical activity, the coefficient by which you need to multiply the basic calorie intake is 1.2;
- if the lifestyle is more active and includes, for example, daily walking up to 5 km or fitness up to 3 times a week, then you need to multiply by 1.375;
- the coefficient of average physical activity with the correct physical load — 1.55;
- if training in the fitness room is carried out at intervals of 6–7 times a week, then the basic metabolism must be multiplied by 1.725;
- with a lifestyle that includes both daily loads in the gym and high physical activity at work, the coefficient should be maximum — 1.9.
The number obtained as a result of the calculations is the individual daily norm of the number of calories that must be supplied with food to meet the internal needs of the body, taking into account physical activity. Experts have found that it takes 3,500 calories to gain one kilogram of weight, so it is important to create a calorie surplus in your diet equal to this indicator. For example, by adding 500 calories daily to your daily intake, you can gain a kilogram of weight in a week.
Proper physical activity for gaining muscle mass
Proper physical activity plays a huge role in weight gain. It is important that it does not consume calories in excess of the required norm and contributes to the formation of new muscle tissue cells. For these reasons, when doing fitness, you need to take into account the following nuances:
- cardio should be reduced to a minimum.
They are very energy-consuming, and when solving the problem of thinness, the main thing is, on the contrary, with the help of nutrition, create a calorie surplus in the body. In addition, if the duration of a fitness workout with a cardio load exceeds 60 minutes, then the body, along with fat cells, begins to break down muscle cells. A safe, stable and harmonious weight gain implies, first of all, building muscle mass;
- in order to build muscle mass, and, consequently, increase body weight, the basis of proper physical activity should be strength exercises with weights.
The emphasis should be on working with a lot of free weights and strength machines, but with a small number of repetitions of each training movement. Adequate working weight must be selected individually empirically: if after performing 6 repetitions the forces remain for another 1–2 repetitions, then the weight must be increased.
Tips for men to gain weight through proper nutrition
In order for the weight gain process to be as effective and productive as possible, men should consider several practical recommendations:
- food that creates a surplus of the daily allowance should be healthy and balanced. The daily calorie intake should be increased by slow carbohydrates and proteins, and not by high-calorie fatty foods. With this approach, weight gain is due to muscle building, and not as a result of the accumulation of body fat. Carbohydrates provide the body with calories and energy, and proteins form new muscle tissue cells, as a result of which a set of muscle mass occurs;
- for more effective muscle building, you can use protein shakes from the range of sports nutrition. The balanced formula of these cocktails, consisting of proteins, carbohydrates and amino acids, contributes to a rapid increase in muscle mass and volume, and therefore to weight gain;
- it is necessary to control the process of weight gain by weighing on an empty stomach at the same time after a certain period of time, for example, once every 3 days or once a week.