The horizontal bar is a compact and versatile simulator that allows you to pump almost all the main muscles of the body, so you can find it almost everywhere, both in the gym and on outdoor sports grounds. Many athletes install it at home, because pull-ups are one of the most effective and simple ways to maintain good physical shape. This exercise has several options for performing, due to which a thorough study of the muscle groups of the upper body is achieved, and the growth of muscle mass is stimulated. But when gaining mass, it is necessary to take into account a number of subtleties, without which pull-ups will become less effective for this purpose.
The role of nutrition, rest and lifestyle in muscle building
Pull-ups on the horizontal bar are among the basic multi-joint exercises, therefore they are effective in training for gaining muscle mass. But in addition to fitness classes, it is important to consider several more conditions that ensure muscle growth. The first thing you need to pay attention to is the nutrition of the athlete. It is necessary to make sure that the food consumed is sufficient for the body: for this, the daily calorie requirement of a person is calculated using the coefficient for the surplus of energy demand. At first, you may need to regularly count the calorie content of food eaten, but in the future it will become a habit, and the required amount of food will be felt intuitively. It is important to remember that a calorie surplus without active training will not lead to a set of muscle mass, but fat, so nutrition must be accompanied by intense sports.
Another condition is a balanced diet: if the menu constantly contains junk food, a lot of sugar and wheat flour, then you can not expect a quick result. Muscle growth requires a building material, which is protein. You can get it from meat, fish, cottage cheese or eggs. To provide the body with energy, carbohydrates are required, the most suitable products for their production are cereals, and it is recommended to choose those that have undergone minimal mechanical processing. Fats are also required to maintain balance and provide cells with nutrition, but the choice here should be made in the direction of healthy fats obtained from vegetable oils, nuts, avocados.
In addition to diet, a person’s lifestyle must be considered, as activity indicators and time allotted for rest also play a role in mass gain. Sleep time is considered an individual indicator, someone gets enough sleep in 6 hours, others need 9; the average is considered 7 — 8 hours a day. If possible, it is important to ensure its continuous flow so that the body has time to go through all the main phases of sleep. The highest quality rest is considered in complete darkness, without additional light sources; irritating factors include even the red lights of devices connected to the network.
It is recommended to start the morning with an active charge, which will wake up the body and provide a cheerful mood for the whole day. You should not limit your activity to only strength training, it is recommended to move as much as possible throughout the day. To do this, you can take walks, reduce the use of transport, if possible, abandon the elevator.
The benefits of exercise and safety measures
Any exercise has its positive aspects, and pull-ups are no exception. The advantages are:
- Work with your own body weight. The human body is genetically adapted to work with its own weight, therefore, if an athlete is able to perform various exercises on the horizontal bar, this indicates an excellent condition of his muscles. If the work on the crossbar is given with great difficulty, then you should think about the state of your body: most likely there is severe muscle weakness or excessive weight.
- In hanging on the crossbar, the spinal column does not experience compression, but, on the contrary, is stretched. This property is an excellent prevention of various clamps. Those athletes who work on fitness programs with large weights in the vertical plane are recommended to arrange unloading for the spine: hang for at least 60 seconds on the crossbar, trying to relax the muscles.
- Active pull-ups develop endurance indicators of the body, make the body stronger and stronger. Accelerated blood circulation during fitness training acts as a prevention of congestion in the veins and blood vessels.
Despite the simple technique of the exercise, it is important to follow some precautions to avoid injury:
- Before starting pull-ups, you must perform a warm-up, warming up the muscles and ligaments. This will help prevent sprains and torn ligaments that require a long recovery.
- In training, you should work very carefully with additional weights, for example, for a start, it is enough to add weight of 2–3 kg, and train with it for 1–2 weeks. Once the exercise has become easy to perform, it is necessary to increase the number of repetitions and sets, and not the weight of the weight.
- A common cause of injury is a weak grip. For additional strengthening of the hands and wrist, it is recommended to practice hanging, working with a carpal expander and exercises with dumbbells as often as possible.
- If the horizontal bar is too slippery, it makes sense to use magnesia or special gloves.
It can be difficult for beginners to master pull-ups right away, in this case, rubber bands will come to the rescue, which will remove some of the load.
Fitness program for pull-ups
There are a large number of pull-up options: experienced athletes can use different ones, while beginners are advised to master the classic look, performed with a direct grip with a medium palm setting. After mastering the exercise, you can proceed to the study of other techniques; this will allow you to alternate styles of pull-ups, achieving a detailed study of different muscle groups. In addition, they can be spread over different fitness days, making your workouts more varied. For example,
- day 1 perform pull-ups with a narrow setting of hands and a direct grip 3 sets of the maximum number of times;
- day 2 do pull-ups with a wide grip on the head 3 sets of the maximum number of times;
- day 3 perform the exercise in the classical form also in 3 sets.
To gain muscle mass between workouts, you need to take one day off; during the rest period, recovery and growth of muscle mass occurs. As you adapt, you need to resort to weights: without it, the period of muscle growth will be too short. At the beginning of work with weights, the number of repetitions in the set is reduced to 6–8 times. All movements should be performed smoothly and without jerks. Weighting is attached to the belt in the center.
It is important to remember that only the muscles of the body work during pull-ups, the legs remain unused, therefore, for uniform muscle growth, it is necessary to include exercises for this muscle group in the program.