- Is the composition of the blanket important and how not to make a mistake in choosing?
- Winter option: choose a blanket for the cold season
- Holiday chores — how to choose a blanket as a gift
- The magic of color: is it worth believing signs?
- Form matters — choose a blanket for the sofa
Is the composition of the blanket important and how not to make a mistake in choosing?
How to choose a blanket for a sofa? This question, for sure, was asked by many connoisseurs of coziness and comfort. Of course, a blanket is not an obligatory attribute of the interior, but without it it is difficult to imagine quiet evenings when coolness creeps into the house and noticeably pulls cold on the floor. Covered with a large, warm blanket, armed with a book and a cup of tea, you can pass the time wonderfully.
However, the choice of blankets today is so great that you will have to work hard to choose exactly what you like and can afford. The first thing you should pay attention to, puzzled by the question “how to choose a blanket for a sofa,” is the composition. To date, manufacturers offer three options:
- warm blankets made of natural wool (usually sheep);
- more affordable blended fiber options (wool supplemented with acrylic);
- synthetic blankets and bedspreads made of dense fleece (pile artificial material).
All three categories are in steady demand, as they have their own merits. The first blankets have excellent qualities that allow you to quickly accumulate and retain heat for a long time. They are hygroscopic and environmentally friendly. To choose a blanket made of wool means to choose natural without any synthetics.
The second blankets are more resistant to mechanical stress, can be dyed in more intense colors, the blankets are easy to wash, but they can accumulate static electricity, like a pure synthetic blanket, and do not pass air and moisture very well.
The third blankets are very light, bright and pleasant to the touch. They do not cause an allergic reaction. The plaid with pile, like a plush, is easy to wash in the washing machine and dries quickly. Such blankets are more suitable as unpretentious capes on upholstered furniture.
Winter option: choose a blanket for the cold season
In winter, the body’s thermoregulation requires much more energy, so it’s important to take a blanket to bed before going to bed. As an alternative or a regular addition to heavy wool blankets, you can use comfortable winter blankets. They are denser than regular blankets and better retain the heat of the human body. Of course, the best plaid, which is made of natural wool. It is better than other materials suitable for the cold season. When determining which is better, you should pay attention to:
- thickness and density of the blanket;
- quality and conscientiousness of edge processing;
- matching the size of the blanket to the bed.
Do not choose overly bulky models. It is difficult to take care of them, and it will not be easy to dry a blanket with a long pile in the conditions of an apartment in winter. It is better to choose the one whose surface is as even as possible, the edge processing line — without gaps and elongated loops.
Holiday chores — how to choose a blanket as a gift
A blanket on the sofa can be a great gift for close friends or relatives. Do not give blankets to unfamiliar people or work colleagues. The fact is that you cannot be sure that the person to whom you want to give such a practical and necessary gift is not allergic to natural wool or has a skin reaction to synthetics. Therefore, the probability of not guessing is quite high.
As for close people, about whom you know, if not all, then a lot, here you will also have to make a lot of effort. How to choose a blanket for a sofa as a gift?
- You must be clear about where and how your blanket will be used. You should definitely pay a courtesy call before you buy a blanket in the store, what if your loved ones managed to make repairs, change the wallpaper or throw away the old bed?
- Having found out the situation, having decided on the color of the plaid, which should be suitable for the interior, it is worth unobtrusively clarifying whether the perpetrators of the upcoming celebration are suffering from allergies.
- But the best thing is to open the cards in advance and invite the gifted person to choose the model he likes himself. Yes, there will be no surprise, but the blanket will be used for its intended purpose, and not lie on the shelf in anticipation of a new owner.
The magic of color: is it worth believing signs?
Many of us sincerely believe in various signs that are somehow connected with color. Someone prefers not to use black tones in the interior, someone is oppressed by purple, popularly called “widow’s” or annoying red … Everyone has their own preferences.
However, do not believe the signs, choosing some suitable blanket for the house. Much more important is how the new thing will look in your room, will it not be dissonant with the interior, will it close the bed? If you are unsure whether the color of your chosen blanket will match the furniture or finishes, you can use the Color Matching Chart. It is on the Internet, freely available. As a last resort, you can consult a familiar designer or consult with someone whose taste you trust.
Form matters — how to choose a blanket for a sofa
Last but not least, what you should pay attention to when choosing a throw for a sofa is the shape, size and configuration of the sofa. Often, upholstered furniture has rather bizarre elements — figured armrests, a strongly curved back, and an angular configuration. Picking up a blanket on a sofa that could be used as a decor can be very difficult. In order not to be mistaken, he advises carefully measuring all the main parts of the sofa before buying — the height and length of the back, the length and width of the seat, the width of the armrests. Be sure to see how the armrests attach to the seat. In some models, voluminous pillows are replaced from and back, which are attached to Velcro (Velcro tape). Fastenings will also have to be taken into account when buying a wool blanket and calculating its estimated width.
Important: it is better to take a slightly large blanket, it can always be folded or hemmed. If the canvas is smaller, it will be much more difficult to fix it.