According to statistics, more than 40 million people in Russia suffer from insomnia. The vast majority are residents of megacities, forced to exist at a frantic pace of life, and at the end of the day unable to readjust and relax, tune in to a restful sleep. Everyone solves this problem in their own way: someone drinks tranquilizers, and someone turns to traditional medicine. And what is the best way to fall asleep in reality and what do experts advise about this?
The role of sleep in human life
A person can change a lot in his life, but what he can never do is give up sleep. Sleep is necessary for the body to restore, maintain the health of internal organs and the brain. The latter needs a night’s rest to process the information received during the day and find the right solution, and scientists from the Division of Biopsychology, Neuroscience Center Zurich, Switzerland, found out that sleep is essential to preserve memory, restore forgotten information. On average, a person needs 8 hours to rest and enter a state of wakefulness full of strength and energy. However, not everyone succeeds in falling into the realm of Morpheus as soon as the head touches the pillow. So what’s the best way to sleep?
Expert advice for fast and easy falling asleep
Here are the recommendations that experts give regarding quality sleep:
- Choose the right time. When is the best time to sleep? Somnologists believe that it is best to go to bed at 21:30, so that sleep comes at 22:00. There is an opinion that it is in the next two hours before midnight that the main processes of restoring the body take place, and it is impossible to “get” this time in the morning or in the afternoon.
- Get ready. Knowing that at 21:30 you need to go to bed, the last time you get up from the table should be at 18:00–18:30. If you have problems falling asleep, then it is better not to fill up at night, having dinner with something light. A warm shower, a glass of milk with honey or herbal tea prepared on the basis of lemon balm, valerian, thyme, lavender, passionflower, hops, evading peony has a relaxing and pacifying effect on the body. Additionally, you can make a hot foot bath.
- Choose a place. It should be comfortable, comfortable and designed specifically for sleep. The room must first be ventilated and, if the weather permits, leave the window ajar. Those who want to know how to sleep better should remember that the long-awaited oblivion comes easier in cool air temperatures than in stuffy conditions.
If preparation for sleep has already become a daily ritual, and there was no proper rest, you can use the secrets of falling asleep quickly. Here is some of them:
- count sheep, and even better count to ten, then start over and so on until the long-awaited dream comes;
- focus on the feet. Repeat monotonously: “My feet are warm and hot…”;
- meditate a little. The world-famous psychologist Louise Hay advises to imagine yourself in the form of a pond — calm and unruffled, around which lush grass grows, trees turn green, and birds sit and sing on the branches. Drawing this picture in your imagination, you can calm down, normalize your heart rate and fall asleep;
- how to fall asleep quickly and easily? Use the methods of the special services. It lies in the fact that, while lying in bed, try not to fall asleep, but on the contrary, give your body the installation not to sleep in any case. According to scientists, for a stressed person, this works much better than visualization and relaxation techniques.