The chiming clock is yet to come, and I already want to sleep unbearably. It’s good for the “owls” — at this time all the fun is just beginning for them. And the poor “larks” have a hard time after dark. The sleepy little head stubbornly leans towards the bowl of salad, and it’s not about alcohol at all.
It’s just that “larks” are arranged this way: they go to bed early, and neither light nor dawn jumps up, full of energy and cheerfulness. Usually this is only a plus: while the “owls” wake up, turn on, tune in to work, the “lark” has already managed to roll a couple of mountains, turn back one or two rivers, dig three lakes, build a house, a gazebo for barbecue and a drinking fountain. And at the same time plant a tree, a stain on the sleeve and 8 times the child on the pot.
But here’s the ambush — on New Year’s Eve, all the most interesting begins after midnight, when the “lark” usually already sees at least the seventh dream.
Something needs to be done about this! MedAboutMe offers its help in solving the problem.
What can be done to prevent drowsiness?
Usually December 31 is not the easiest day for everyone, not just for early risers. Someone in the sweat of their face and in clubs of steam is spinning in the kitchen, preparing a treat for the New Year. Others run around all day looking for gifts they didn’t bother to buy in advance, and are still trying to get a manicure and a beauty salon. And who works until the evening — for example, stylists and manicurists in those same salons. And these hard workers get home only in the evening, without arms, without legs, without strength and with only one burning desire — to sleep. Sleep, and burn it all with a blue flame along with the New Year.
But then it gets kind of embarrassing. Running, cooking, working, trying — and sleeping? Netushki. Gotta cheer up. But as?
We offer several ways to cheer up, tone and restore vigor. That was enough for at least half of the festive night. You can try to apply everything suggested or choose several ways to prevent drowsiness that are most suitable and enjoyable for you personally. It is better not to expect miracles: even the fairy godmother from the fairy tale about Cinderella cannot turn a tired “lark” into a peppy “owl”. But something can be done.
You won’t be able to sleep for the future, but a person who has slept the night before will still be able to fight drowsiness longer than after chronic sleep deprivation. If you manage to lie down before the start of the feast, at least for 20–30 minutes, this is generally wonderful.
The main thing is to have time to completely relax in this short time, and so that no one interferes. Turn off your phone, close your bedroom door, you can even put earplugs in your ears. Lie on your back with a pillow under your head and release all tension. Relax all muscles, including face, tongue, jaws. Let the whole body go limp, as if you have become a drop of jelly in the sun. Stop the thoughts in your head, let there be silence … which will be delicately interrupted by a pre-set timer. Do you feel more energized? Yes, but not enough? So, move on.
Rub your ears vigorously with your palms. Rub your palms together vigorously as well. Massage the back of the head and neck, the skin under the hair.
Not bad raises the tone and relieves drowsiness massage of the fingers with a special needle-spring ring.
Ideally, you need to take a shower — moderately warm, and finally cool. If health permits, complete the procedure with a contrast shower, ending with a cold douche.
If you are afraid to ruin your hair and makeup, you can make contrasting hand baths.
Ventilate all rooms well so as not to sit in stuffiness. From the stale atmosphere will overtake anyone.
Take advantage of aromatherapy. The smell of freshly ground coffee, lemon, orange, grapefruit, bergamot and other citrus fruits, as well as the aroma of pine needles, has an invigorating effect.
Coffee, tea and other drinks
You can drink coffee, but you should not abuse this drink. One cup of strong coffee is enough, but if you drink 3–4 cups, you can get the opposite effect: you will uncontrollably pull yourself to sleep.
Not bad invigorates white tea, but you need to be careful with it if you have a tendency to hypertension.
It is better not to experiment with energy drinks. The harm will be greater than the effectiveness.
But you can drink a glass of lingonberry juice: the sour taste can invigorate a little, and lingonberries themselves are a good tonic.
If there are no contraindications, you can help the body cope with drowsiness by taking a little extract of ginseng, eleutherococcus, Rhodiola rosea, maral root. But only without fanaticism, strictly according to the instructions on the package! Otherwise, you can get a pressure surge, a heart jumping out of your throat and shaking hands.
- At the table, you should not overeat and get carried away with heavy dishes, mayonnaise salads, fatty foods and too sweet dessert.
- It is better not to abuse alcohol, otherwise the dream will quickly overtake, and you will peacefully oversleep all the most interesting things under the Christmas tree.
- Try to move more — dance, go for a walk, anything, just so as not to inadvertently warm yourself in a cozy chair. And then you yourself will not notice how drowsiness will come.
- Turn on bright lights in the room.
- Let the music be energetic, rhythmic, not too loud.
- Open windows more often to keep the air fresh and not too warm.
- Even if you are at home, stay dressed in smart clothes and shoes: home soft slippers and a fluffy bathrobe will lead you under the covers much faster. And the evening dress keeps in good shape and does not allow you to relax.
- If you find yourself feeling drowsy, brush your teeth with a peppermint toothpaste or take mint gum. This will make the body shake up and hold out for a few more hours.
We hope that our tips will help you keep your mind and body in good spirits on New Year’s Eve.
Happy New Year to you, dear “larks”, cute “owls” and everyone who is going to have fun celebrating their favorite holiday! May 2018 bring you happiness, love, fulfillment of desires and good health even on the morning of January 1st.
Diana Boivin, MD, Sleep Expert, Canada
New Year is probably the only day of the year when “larks” envy “owls”. The early birds are already ready to fall exhausted and fall asleep where they fell, and the “owls” are full of energy and ready to have fun all night long. And in the morning, with a laugh, show photos of “larks” who surrendered too early.
For those who are used to getting up early and going to bed early, it is almost useless to try to “get enough sleep for the future.” Sleep is not fat at the waist, it will not be possible to stock it, unfortunately. Falling asleep is driven by circadian rhythms, which work in a completely different way. A person may have a great night’s sleep the night before, but want to sleep at exactly the same time as usual.
What can help you stay motivated:
- A contrast shower, and you need to finish with cool water, and after a shower, rub your body vigorously with a towel.
- Relax during the day and have lunch. A hungry and tired person greedily pounces on plentiful food, quickly fills up, and this causes drowsiness.
- Move more. Try to even sit in such a way that you can’t relax too much: between a soft deep chair and a stool without a back, choose a stool. Dance. Get up from the table often — for example, to help the hostess in the kitchen or play with the children.
- Use invigorating aromas: mint, coffee, lemons, oranges. You can put some essential oil on your wrist and occasionally inhale the scent.
- When you feel tired, dip your hands up to the elbow in cold water, then in hot water and again in cold water.
And don’t try to change your nature overnight. In the end, if you really want to sleep — you need to sleep. Holidays are not there to wear you down and tire you out.
Happy New Year to you!