Prevention of snoring, it would seem, is not a measure of first importance. But if you dig deeper, then snoring itself is not only an aesthetic nuisance, but also a physiological respiratory disorder that can adversely affect human health. A similar low rattling sound can be heard during sleep, both from men and women. Taking this defect as an absolutely safe, normal human condition, many risk losing sight of the development of a disease that is dangerous to health. Measures to prevent snoring, its causes and consequences will help protect yourself from the consequences.
Snoring Prevention: Possible Causes
Prevention keeps people healthy. The unpleasant “rumble” emitted by a person during sleep, called snoring, is not just an inconvenience, but possibly a symptom of the development of pathological processes in the body. The mechanism of snoring is a violation of the anatomical structure of the respiratory tract, as a result of which the movement of air is somewhat difficult. The air, passing through the narrowed channel, creates more pressure on its walls, which contributes to the occurrence of vibration, accompanied by the rattling “rumble” so familiar to many. This means that prevention should be aimed at eliminating these problems. What reasons may precede such a violation?
The causes can be both past illnesses, and physiology features or an unhealthy lifestyle.
The most popular reasons are:
- Uneven growth of cartilage tissue in the area of the nasal septum. The cause of such a violation can be not only congenital structural features, but also physical injuries in this area;
- The development of benign formations — polyps. By themselves, polyps are harmless, but their too intense growth can lead to blockage of the airways, narrowing the space of the channel for air to enter the lungs, thereby creating an oxygen deficiency for the body’s systems.
- Too narrow airways can be given to a person from birth;
- The tongue of the palate is another reason for snoring. Its increase creates a barrier that provokes the appearance of vibration.
Most of these problems can be solved with minor surgery. There are also reasons of another type — functional, among them:
- severe fatigue;
- Decreased muscle tone of the body;
- Chronic lack of sleep;
- Some forms of obesity;
- Decreased thyroid function;
- The state of alcoholic intoxication;
- Natural aging process.
Most of the excessive stress on the body does not go unnoticed. Alcohol, excessive fatigue, the use of certain medications weaken the tone of the muscles of the tongue and palate, which can lead to temporary snoring (which will pass after the body recovers), or permanent (more dangerous, requiring drastic measures). Treatment and prevention can solve both types of problems.
Snoring and gender: female snoring
Of course, the cause of women’s snoring can be any of the above factors and even their whole complex. But there are some reasons that are characteristic only for the female body.
Let’s talk about them in more detail.
One such reason is menopause. This period of a woman’s life is characterized by hormonal changes. The lack of estrogen produced contributes to the thinning and weakening of the muscles of the respiratory tract, which can provoke the appearance of snoring or exacerbate existing ones.
The appearance of polyps is a rather rare thing for the female body, but overweight in the weaker sex causes breathing difficulties much more often than in men.
Healthy lifestyle and features of male snoring
The weakening of muscle tone in the upper respiratory tract is the main cause of snoring. All common causes can be related to the primary sources of its appearance. There are no number of reasons that affect only male physiology. But according to statistics, excessive drinking and smoking are more often the cause of male snoring.
Another dangerous consequence of disorders that provoke snoring is sleep apnea. Apnea is a process in which during snoring in a dream, breathing stops, which is restored only after a signal from the brain about a lack of oxygen. This problem significantly reduces the quality of sleep, which leads to chronic fatigue. The same reason helps to reduce the release of testosterone by the body, since the body produces this hormone in the phase of deep sleep.
Preventive measures against snoring
Prevention measures are aimed at preventing the weakening of the tissues of the upper respiratory tract.
- Since any muscles need training, special breathing exercises can be performed for the respiratory muscles.
- Specialized orthopedic items are also used to prevent snoring.
- Correct position during sleep. Sleeping on your side is especially useful in this matter, it is extremely important that the pillow be as comfortable as possible, helping the head to take the correct position during sleep. The choice of orthopedic accessories for sleeping, as well as the adoption of the most comfortable and physiologically correct posture for sleeping, will be ideal.
- Leading a healthy lifestyle. This method seems to be simple, but in fact the most difficult. Leading a healthy lifestyle is not a matter of a few days or a week. Compliance with the rules of a healthy diet, daily physical activity, sufficient quality rest, adherence to the regime, the absence of bad habits require considerable willpower from a person. However, this method of prevention is often the most effective.
- In the presence of surgical problems that provoke snoring, preventive measures are usually not effective enough. In this case, another kind of intervention is needed, namely treatment.
Human health: prevention and treatment of snoring
Treating pre-existing snoring can be treated in three ways:
- The use of preventive measures;
Preventive measures will give the proper result if snoring is a consequence of external factors leading to a deterioration in the condition of the body.
Medications that help strengthen the tone of the muscles of the nasopharynx allow solving the problem of treatment and prevention in a short time. But they often work temporarily, without eliminating the causes of snoring, which can be many. At the same time, for women during menopause, this is almost the only solution to the problem.
Congenital features, curvature, polyps and other problems of this kind require surgical intervention.
Also, in the fight against snoring and its causes, not one specific method, but a whole complex of them, is often the most effective.
An unpleasant “rumble” emitted by a person during sleep, called snoring, is not just an inconvenience, but a symptom of a person having difficulty breathing, which can threaten human health and which requires competent treatment and prevention. You need to be sensitive to your own health, observing a healthy lifestyle, as a preventive measure against almost all diseases, and the body will definitely respond with gratitude.