The best teeth whitening products
We have selected the most effective and affordable products that, when used correctly, will not harm the enamel and will allow you to achieve the desired shade. It is important to remember that an examination by a dentist is a must before using any teeth whitening system. Only an individual selection of whitening agents will allow the smile to be snow-white and at the same time will not impair the quality of the teeth.
Top 5 effective teeth whitening products
1. Whitening strips
The most popular are: RIGEL, Crest 3D White Supreme FlexFit, Bright Light Amazing Effects, Blend-a-med 3DWhite Luxe
Teeth whitening strips can be gentle action, standard, enhanced action and for fixing the effect. Most of them contain hydrogen peroxide, which, turning into atomic oxygen, promotes the breakdown of pigments. There are also whitening strips with activated charcoal, coconut oil and citric acid. They are more gentle on enamel and are suitable for sensitive teeth. It is worth noting that some features of the enamel will not allow you to achieve the desired lightening, so a preliminary consultation with a dentist is important.
Pros and cons
2. Whitening toothpastes
Most commonly used: ROCS Sensational Whitening, Lacalut White, PresiDENT PROFI PLUS White Plus, SPLAT Special Extreme White, Lacalut White & Repair.
All whitening toothpastes can be divided into two groups:
- Containing abrasive, polishing particles
For these pastes, an important indicator is the coefficient of abrasion. For permanent use with minimal trauma to the enamel, it is recommended to purchase products with a coefficient of no more than 80. A higher indicator is able to remove plaque, soft dental deposits, but you can use it no more than 2 times a week.
- Containing carbamide peroxide.
The mechanism of operation of these agents is that upon contact with saliva, carbamide peroxide releases active oxygen, which, through oxidative processes, whitens tooth enamel.
Pros and cons
3. Whitening gels
The most popular are: Plus White Whitening Booster, Colgate Simply White, ROCS Medical Minerals Sensitive, Luxury white pro
Teeth whitening gels contain hydrogen peroxide, which lightens pigments in enamel. Since the direct effect of the substance is aggressive, the gels contain additional components. There are several ways to use whitening gels:
- while brushing your teeth with a toothbrush;
- using a special brush;
- with the use of individual caps (a plastic product worn on the teeth; the tightest fit of the active gel to the teeth is ensured);
- using special lamps that activate the gel.
Top 10 teeth whitening pencils
Caps are of three types:
- Standard — standard-shaped pads with gel on the upper and lower jaw. A fairly inexpensive option, but does not allow you to achieve a snug fit.
- Thermoplastic — made from heat-resistant plastic. Before use, they must be dipped in boiling water. This will allow the plastic to fit snugly against the teeth. Also, this option is more comfortable to wear than standard mouthguards.
- Individual — are made in the dental clinic for each patient separately.
The concentration of the active substance in a special gel can be different: from 4% to 45%. The higher the concentration, the shorter the exposure time.
Pros and cons
4. Whitening pencils
The most popular are: Luxury White PRO, Bright White, ROCS, GLOBAL WHITE, Amazing White Teeth Whitening Pen, ICEBERG Professional Whitening.
The main substance of any pencil is hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. When interacting with saliva and oxygen, atomic oxygen is released, which brightens the enamel pigments. Additionally, whitening pencils contain fragrances that make breath fresh. To achieve a stable visible result, a course of 10–14 days is required.
Pros and cons
5. Tooth powders
The most commonly used are: Fudo Kagaku Binotomo eggplant, Avanta “Special”, Smoca Green Mint and Eucalyptus, Siberina “Strengthening” Tooth Eco-Powder.
The basis of any tooth powder is chemically precipitated chalk (98–99%). The remaining 2% are fragrances and various additives (sea salt, clay, essential oils). Due to the high abrasiveness, the powders are used no more than 2 times a week. On other days, it is recommended to use regular toothpastes. Do not expect obvious whitening from powders from the first application.
Pros and cons
How to choose a teeth whitening product
Currently, there are a large number of teeth whitening products on the market. Lightening by several tones in a very short period of time always looks the most attractive. It is important to remember that the faster the visible effect occurs, the more aggressive substances are in the composition. Therefore, we list the main points that will allow you to choose the safest teeth whitening products:
- funds are sold in professional stores and are intended specifically for home use;
- it is better to choose preparations for sensitive teeth, as they contain fewer aggressive substances;
- the course should be from 14 days, and the exposure time should be at least 15 minutes;
- carefully study the composition and find the concentration of substances;
- home whitening procedures should be carried out no more than once a year;
- to give up smoking.
Only after consulting a dentist and selecting individual whitening products, you can be sure of the safety and effectiveness of the chosen methods.
Why are ultrasonic toothbrushes better than conventional ones?
Popular questions and answers
We discussed important issues related to the use of whitening strips with dentist Tatiana Ignatova.
Is teeth whitening harmful?
For whom is teeth whitening contraindicated?
• age under 18;
• pregnancy and lactation;
• allergic reaction to the components of the drug;
• inflammatory processes of the oral cavity;
• violation of the integrity of the enamel;
• filling in the area of bleaching;
Is it possible to whiten teeth with folk remedies?
Teeth color is a genetic predisposition. There are recommendations from dentists that will allow you to be satisfied with the quality and color of enamel:
• daily brushing of teeth and professional hygiene every 6 months;
• white diet (avoid coloring foods);
• Do not smoke;
• eat more fresh vegetables and fruits;
• use home whitening products only after consulting a dentist;
• carry out professional teeth whitening only at the dentist.