Healthy sleep is the key to mental and physical health. Sleep deprivation has become a fairly common problem these days. Stress, bad thoughts, extraneous noise — all this negatively affects the quality of sleep. It is no coincidence that one of the ancient tortures is to keep a person from sleeping. This breaks the will of a person, he ceases to control himself and fulfills any conditions of the executioners. And during sleep, the nervous system is restored, and the person is alert and collected again.
Good sleep is the key to health
How much sleep to be collected, attentive and productive? Ideally, a person’s sleep in adulthood should last 6–8 hours. Only geniuses like Napoleon or Leonardo da Vinci, according to the legends, could sleep 1.5–2 hours a day. For them, that was enough. But they are geniuses to be different from ordinary people. For everyone else, lack of sleep is extremely harmful, and does not increase productivity, but quite the opposite.
For good sleep, not only its quantity is important, but also its quality. It is influenced by many factors: events during the day, watching TV, using a computer, the presence of extraneous noise and the temperature in the room, and how you feel. It’s hard to fall asleep if something is bothering you or the neighbors are playing music too loudly.
You will sleep much better if you follow these helpful tips:
- Finish working at the computer a few hours before going to bed;
- Take a warm bath with aromatic oils;
- Adjust the room temperature — it should be within 18–21 degrees;
- Try to exclude extraneous noise;
- Drink relaxing herbal teas to help your nervous system relax;
- Monitor the condition of the bed, it should not cause discomfort.
The better you sleep, the more alert you will feel when you wake up, and the more productive your day will be.
What you need to know about human sleep
We sleep for about a third of our lives. Newborns sleep the longest — from 17 to 23 hours a day. Further, a person’s sleep is gradually shortened: in school-age children, the number of hours ranges from 8 to 12 hours, for 20–30-year-olds 5 hours may be enough. By the age of 60, sleep time increases again to 12–13 hours. However, everyone has their own mode of rest.
Human sleep is divided into several phases:
- Slow. It lasts about 90 minutes. During it, the body is relaxed, and the brain is inactive.
- Fast. The duration of the fast phase is 10–20 minutes. Eyeballs make quick movements. At this point, you may be dreaming.
The slow and fast phases in a healthy person alternate 5 times. During this time, you can see 4–6 dreams. It may seem that one plot lasts quite a long time, about 1.5 hours, but in fact the duration of the dream is no more than 1–2 minutes. A person remembers the plot if he wakes up during the fast phase. Dream plots are usually not related to each other. Dreams are a reflection of our experiences and sensations, which we are not always aware of during the waking period. If you want to know what your dream means, refer to a special dream book. Do not be afraid if there is a bad event in your plot, such as illness or death. If you dream about this, you should not interpret the dream literally — your subconscious is signaling you about problems or difficulties in making decisions or about something else. Special dream books will help to unravel the meaning of the plot.
For a long time it was believed that people with an unhealthy psyche see color dreams. But today this claim has been refuted. Most likely, plots in color come to people whose life is full of bright events, who have something to remember. So, for example, children see color dreams, because every day for them is a time of discovery and new experiences. There are many more women who see color dreams than men. And, of course, intellectuals can see plots in color — due to the high development of the brain and the variety of impressions.
The importance of sleep time and proper regimen for human health
We have long known that according to the way of life people are divided into “larks” (those who prefer to go to bed early and get up early) and “owls” (lovers to sit longer at night and wake up later). Since the standard work schedule of firms and enterprises (from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. or from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.) implies a fairly early awakening, the “owls” do not get enough sleep. This leads to fatigue and irritability. Therefore, a few simple recommendations on time management will help them:
- Try to go to bed no later than 23:00;
- Prepare the necessary things in the evening — it will be easier to get ready in the morning;
- Take a contrast shower or do exercises — it’s easier to wake up;
- Control how long it takes you to complete daily tasks;
- Try not to put things off until the evening. Even if you are active in the evenings, be aware of the negative effects of sleep deprivation.
Is it worth the “owl” against their will to try to become a “lark”? There is no single answer. If you have a choice, and you can agree to adjust the schedule with the management, then there is nothing wrong with the “owl” mode. But if you work according to a clear schedule, then it is worth adjusting the sleep time and daily routine in favor of the “lark”.
Prolonged lack of sleep leads to such adverse effects as:
- Deterioration of memory and concentration of attention;
- Decreased immunity;
- Excess weight;
- Decreased performance;
- Bad mood, irritability;
- Decreased motivation;
- Deterioration in appearance.
If you do not get enough sleep for years, then all of the above will lead to the appearance of serious diseases, such as diabetes, depression or stroke. In short, insufficient rest inevitably leads to a deterioration in the quality of life.
Proper and high-quality human sleep is one of the most important components of life success. How much sleep to be productive and collected depends on your biological rhythms. It is extremely erroneous to think that lazy people and weak people sleep a lot. You just need to learn how to sleep properly.
How to achieve this:
- Do not eat at night. Food can lead to frequent awakenings, especially if you have eaten a lot of sweets;
- Sleep with the account off. Bright light interferes with the production of melatonin, a hormone that helps you sleep. This way you will feel better in the morning.
- Don’t play sports. Your nervous system and muscles will become overexcited, and you will not be able to fall asleep for a long time. Therefore, leave the exercises in the morning, and in the evening do, for example, yoga.
A sleepy person feels not only better, but also happier. The correct mode of the day and the absence of bad habits improves the state of health and relationships with others.