When is the best time for a baby to sleep? It all depends on his age. Very young children sleep a lot, and they need to be put to bed earlier. Older children may skip naps and go to bed a little later.
It is necessary to focus on the child, his needs and well-being. One child is more awake and sleeps less. The other sleeps quite a lot. Someone sleeps from 13 to 15 hours, and someone from 14 to 16. Much in the daily routine can be individual.
If the child feels well, not lethargic and not overexcited, then you can put him to bed a little later, but within half an hour. Let him play more, then he will sleep better and fall asleep faster. If the usual time for sleep has not yet come, and the child is already tired, plays completely inactive or is naughty, it is worth putting him to bed earlier.
Babies under one year sleep a lot throughout the day. The older the child gets, the less he sleeps. First twice a day, then once. There are children who do not want to sleep during the day at all. If the child is quite active and at the same time does not want to sleep at all, you can just lie down and listen to a book that parents are reading. It is advisable to get some rest. If the child during the day plays little active games and walks, it is worth adding physical activity. Play football with him, go for a walk in the park. When the child plays well and takes a walk, he will get tired and possibly fall asleep during the day. But don’t force yourself to sleep.
As for night sleep, young children can be put to bed at 20–21 hours. Older children can be put to bed at 20.30–21.30. This is the preferred bedtime. But even here there are options. It may well be that the child falls asleep at 22.00 and wakes up at 7 in the morning, while feeling great. And another child can go to bed at 20.00 and at the same time wake up only at 9 o’clock in the morning. The main thing is that the child is active and feels good.
If the child does not fall asleep well, it is worth taking certain measures.
- First, increase activity during the day. Walk twice a day, play outdoor games. If the child does not like such activities too much, find something that will captivate him, engage with him.
- Secondly, in the evening, 1.5–2 hours before bedtime, switch to calm games. Read books, draw, make puzzles, play board games.
- Thirdly, before going to bed, you can take a walk in the fresh air. This helps a lot.
- Fourth, you need to prepare the room for sleep. Ventilate, turn off the light, humidify the air if the room is dry.
- Fifth, it is necessary to monitor the food that the child consumes before bedtime. Sweets and buns should not be given. You should not drink a lot of liquid. It is best to choose dairy products without sugar, cereal or vegetables.
- Sixth, if the child is overexcited, you can do a light relaxing massage or take a bath.
The best time to sleep is when your child is most comfortable falling asleep. That is, you should always focus on the child. However, it is important to observe the regime of the day, which is developed over time. Certain limits must be adhered to. You should not go to bed at 20.00 one day, and at 23.00 the next. It won’t do any good. Of course, certain options may be, but within reason.